Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 Dodge Ram Van doghouse

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM
fredheiler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Ram Van doghouse

A friend has asked me to replace spark plugs on their 2003 Ram van. Dumb question -- how do you remove the doghouse engine cover?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Ram van section,
FF

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Family Van

There is a Spring clip on each side of the doghouse towards the front that are easily removed.

In addition to the spring clips there are 4 bolted connections at the floor under the carpet/floor mat. The bolts need to be loosened and the clips needs to be twisted to disengage them from the doghouse. (at least that what my 2003 has)

To remove the doghouse move the seats back all the way and pull out the bottom of the doghouse slightly. From this point just keep moving it up and down slightly until it is free of the dash.

Access to the plugs should be easy afterwards.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a hard time getting to the plugs or the plugs have not been changed in a zillion miles, you may need to take the front wheels off for easy access of the four plugs towards the front of the engine on both the driver and passengers sides.

The rear most plugs are easy to get with the dog-house taken off.

I can get to all of the plugs with my shorty ratchet+universal swivel+2" extension+socket from the dog-house taken off. The driver side is the bear to work at since the ratchet only turns about three clicks and seems like 30 minuets goes by fast. Maybe taking the tire off is faster ???

Anyhow, the van runs well with AP5224 single platinum plugs.

Now, if the dog-house is taken off for the plugs, I highly recommend replacing the cap-n-rotor with a new Dura set that has copper/brass contacts. The aluminum types just fail in 3K miles. And to change the air filter and to clean the IAC .... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/68174-diy-how-to-clean-the-iac.html

Old 10-11-2010, 11:55 AM
fredheiler

Thanks, guys, for all the good info. I won't have access to the van til at least Thursday, but it sounds like it should be an easy job....

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Ram Van doghouse