Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge b250 '89 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge b250 '89 questions

Hello,

I recently bought my very own B250 from 1989,
and im trying to rebuild it.

Body work etc was already done,
now im down to the braking system and the engine,

Im looking for braided steel lines and a high performance brake system?
Anyone done this? or any recommendations?

And the engine, I was told by a forummember that the engine was a 5.2 318 LA.
I asked all the local garages to help me rebuild the engine, but they all said no because of "American Engines" , one of them gave me a book about how to rebuild small blocks,

but a charger fan next door agreed if i could get the parts he would help me install them,
Could anyone tell if this is the right engine? And if so what parts will fit?
I was looking for Edelbrock/Holley parts, but Uhhhhhmmm well Yeah!

Hope someone could help me

Old 11-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the engine should be the 5.2L LA series motor. Your local auto parts store will have the available parts to rebuild or can order them for you. Now until the motor is torn down and all parts mic'ed you will not know what all you need.

Your neighbor will be able to help you mic the parts and tell you what you need to order.

Low end cost will be just needing new rings, gaskets, standard bearings, and having the heads rebuilt.
High end cost will be needing resized bearing, new pistons, possible sleeving the motor and/or going with over size pistons, new cam shaft and no telling what other parts may be needed.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:26 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Over here we have a mail order parts company called www.rockauto.com They do international shipping.

They list engine master rebuild kits from 300 to 650 Euros. I imagine shipping might be pricey to the Netherlands.
There is a possibility you have a 360/ 5.9 liter engine as well. My '89 has a roller cam and lifters. Yours might or might not depending if it was made for Europe or shipped there at a later date.
I recently searched for stainless steel brake lines for my '89 b250. It was a custom order deal in the 150 dollar range, and I went with the regular rubber. Apparently if the SS is not covered with a plastic covering, road grime gets in and starts premature wear.

I do not really know of a great easy way to upgrade braking performance on these vans. The rotors and drums are just too small, and new severe duty pads should be properly broken in on fresh rotors, either new or resurfaced, for the most bite. The rear brakes are known not to self adjust properly due to frozen star adjusters or the catches for them. So really unless you have a lot of funds to throw at it with custom fabrication, the best you can do is make the OEM system work as good as when new, and take advantage of the fact they do sell drilled and slotted rotors, and more aggressive pads, than back in '89. A lot of people say the drilled and or slotted rotors have no benefit and are really just for looks. Seeing as how no formula 1 or Nascar disc brakes are slotted or drilled, it is a credible arguement.

You will benefit greatly by owning a factory service manual:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...+manual&_rdc=1

Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by landyacht318
The rear brakes are known not to self adjust properly due to frozen star adjusters or the catches for them.
Buy a set of new self adjusters. Then apply a nice, even thin coat of anti-seize onto the threads. This will keep the star adjusters to move.

For better braking, look for calipers with dual pistons. The B350 and the B2500 HD and the B3500 use these. However, you may need to up your tire size from 15" to 16" wheels.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I looked on Rockauto. The b 350s appear to have the same single piston caliper as my 250.

I do not know if the 2500/ 3500 calipers are compatible, or what if any modifications would be required, besides the bigger rims.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

97 and older have single piston calipers. 98 and newer have dual piston calipers even on the B1500 vans.

Quick Reply: Dodge b250 '89 questions