Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Reprograming ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Clwpaddler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reprograming ECU

Has anyone reprogrammed a 2000 5.2 liter ECU. Looking to increase performance when towing a travel trailer. Hopefully a little more torque and better gas mileage. Thanks in advance.

Woody

Old 11-25-2010, 02:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, for your generation of Ram Van, it's called a PCM.

There isn't much to really reprogram the PCM with. Chrysler has a few TSB required reprogramming needs if the van doesn't pass emissions or if the engine has a diesel ping for your model year. They have to mount a sticker to your van computer that says the PCM has been reprogrammed by the dealer to avoid any Federal legal action.

If you have the B2500, then the rear 3.92 would do well for towing.

As for upping or returning lost power, there are a few things to do.

1. Use the Autolite AP5224 Single Platinum plugs.

2. Cap-n-Rotor must be copper/brass contacts.

3. Replace the O2 sensors and the CAT if the mileage is around 90-100K.

4. Have a high flow CAT and high flow muffler. Done this in the last two months to my 2001 5.2L. This made an enormous increase in power. The exhaust pipe diameter is 2-1/2. Also, the Y-pipe connection going into the CAT is by far better than OEM setup of having the pipes get pinched together before entering the CAT.

5. There is an IAT mod that 97B2500CCV has done. This is the first of it's kind that can be switched on/off on demand vs. the IAT mods for the Magnum engines shown on the web. His method is the best thus far. This isn't "reprogramming" the PCM, but it fakes the PCM out allowing for more Hp out of the engine. Of course, this uses more fuel too. So, having the option of "on demand" when needed helps with this mod.

6. Make sure your van has an OEM or additional tranny cooler. A hot tranny can reduce the power to the wheels.

7. Run with the 75W90 synthetic rear oil in the differential. Chrysler has a TSB recommending this.

8. Repack the front wheel bearings, both the inner and outer on each side. Friction is your worse enemy for fuel MPG and for towing. I'm using a high viscosity bearing grease from a Tractor Supply Store that is sky blue in color, a premium corrosion inhibitor and will not wax up under heat.

9. To greatly reduce the sag and add rear control for towing, get the Road Master Active Suspension Kit added. This will put the weight of the trailer where it out to be, on the trailer and not adding the force/pressure on the rear springs of the van.

10. Clean the engine breather, the PVC valve, the IAC, and seafoam the fuel intake.

Last edited by stev; 11-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stev
5. There is an IAT mod that 97B2500CCV has done. This is the first of it's kind that can be switched on/off on demand vs. the IAT mods for the Magnum engines shown on the web. His method is the best thus far. This isn't "reprogramming" the PCM, but it fakes the PCM out allowing for more Hp out of the engine. Of course, this uses more fuel too. So, having the option of "on demand" when needed helps with this mod.
On this forum I am known as Mobile Auto Repair and click the link in my signature to go to the IAT mod. As noted there the power is most noticeable during heavy to wide open throttle. The mod does fool the PCM unto thinking that the air intake charge temperature is lower by several degrees than what it sees from the IAT mounted in the intake manifold. The PCM "seeing" cooler air tells it to add a bit more fuel which gives the little extra HP. Though I mounted my second IAT in the air snorkel I will at a later time move it to the front of the ram air system which should help it read a couple to few more degrees cooler. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:06 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
On this forum I am known as Mobile Auto Repair
So many aliases, so much to hide!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:37 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
So many aliases, so much to hide!
HEY! I think I saw that White Van on a recent episode of Law And Order SVU.

J/K

Quick Reply: Reprograming ECU