Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'99 Dodge Ram Van

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
christeeandy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Dodge Ram Van

I have a question...went out to start my van and when i turn the key there is NOTHING. Just the buzzing from the key being in the ignition. Even tho the battery was replaced last December I hooked it up to a charger, no luck...I've read a lot about an ASD Relay? Could this be the problem, and if so, where will i find it and how will i know if it's bad? Thanks!!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:51 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A malfunctioning ASD relay will still allow the engine to crank. The ASD relay controls the power to the fuel pump, coil and fuel injectors.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
christeeandy

Ok, so I can scratch that....so what where should I start? I've just replaced the water pump, outgoing speed sensor, thermostat...in the past month or so....not related, I'm sure, but now this....I have no clue what it could be. It's almost like the battery is dead, but not the case!? The battery tested good when I hooked it up the the charger...any suggestions? PLEASE?! On thanksgiving day it was cranking, but almost sounded like it wasn't getting fuel. Then when gas pedal was pushed it would die. Finally got it started and it's started fine ever since....until Sat night....went to start it, turned the key and NOTHING! I don't even know where to begin!!

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It could be the neutral safety switch down on the tranny. Did you try starting it in neutral instead of park?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
christeeandy

Yes, I tried that thinking the same thing, and once again, nothing...it doesn't even click or try to crank...like i'm not even turning the key!?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:28 PM
christeeandy

I am wondering if the cylanoid is going bad? Would this make the car do nothing when ignition is turned over? If so does anyone know where it is located on my 99 Dodge Ram 1500 Van?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by christeeandy
I am wondering if the solenoid is going bad?
It could be, it's mounted on the starter. I'd still first test the neutral safety switch. Unplug the 3-wire connector from it and ground the center wire (only the center wire.) Then try to start it. If it starts replace the switch. If it doesn't start then replace the starter assembly.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before replacing the starter check the small wire on the starter for power when the key is turned to the start position. If power then replace starter, if no power and not the neutral safety switch then look at the starter relay.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 AM
christeeandy

Ok, I'll start there....thank you all! And i'll let you know the outcome! I'm a woman that doesn't know much about cars, but i'm learning! Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:26 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by christeeandy
I'm a woman that doesn't know much about cars, but I'm learning!
We're a bunch of men that know a lot about car and almost nothing about women, and we refuse to learn.

Quick Reply: '99 Dodge Ram Van