Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
jimemeone
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Question

I have a 2001 1500 series conversion van with the 5.9 engine. Shifting out of park is getting very difficult(all other shifting is OK). For years I park it in my driveway that has an incline. Typically I back it up the drive, shift into neutral,apply the parking break,ease off the foot brake to get the weight onto the parking break, and then put it in park. Can someone tell me what might be going on and what needs to be done to get it fixed?
Thanks/Jim

Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

It's probably not the tranny, more than likely the parking brake is slipping and the weight of the vehicle ends up on the driveline instead of the brake.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alloro this can be true.

He would need to check the rear brakes, the self-adjusters, shoes and the brake cylinders.

If his van is like my 2001 model year, those rear drums will be needing a beating to break free and wiggle off. A good 5-lbs hand sledge would work when the lugs and wheel are off. Beat only on the outer drum.

Last edited by stev; 12-31-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Question