Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Fuel Pump? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:40 PM
2bTim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Fuel Pump? Please help! FIXED!

Hello Everyone, I have a 1997 Dodgeram Van 2500 and i "think" the fuel pump needs replaceing. Or is it possible that it's something electrical wrong? Abour 3 months ago my wife left the lights on while shopping and killed the battery and we ha to have jumped off to start and the battery recharged, but once in awhile it needs to be jump started, so I know it needs a new battery. A couple days ago we went to town and when we got home she switched it off,but this time it sounded sorta like the the motor just died. Anyway now we can fully charge the battery, but it still doesn't crank. (This van has always cranked very easy.) So I had my nephew take the motor cover off and pour a little gas in it and it'll crank and run fine, but when switched off it will not restart without pouring a little gas in it first. This van has a 5.2 liter engine with only 63k miles o the van. Is my fuel pump going out, or could this be a censor somewhere? Note: when the van is switched on I can not hear the click from the fuel pump now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by 2bTim; 12-31-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long do you try holding the starter on for? On my van it got to where it needed about 5 seconds of cranking to start up. Now that was one due to a leaking Check Valve in the fuel pump module. The check valve is designed to hold pressure in the fuel rail while the engine is off. Since it will start and run with gas poured down the throttle plates then yes I would get the pump replaced. You may also find that cranking it for 10 seconds may get the engine to catch and run on its own. But that will still mean it is time for a new pump module.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:05 AM
relentlessmx

I had a similar issue. On my 1994 the trouble was with the ECM. When you turn the ignition key to start the van it should send signal to the fuel pump to run for a 1/2 second or so to prime the system, once it starts and is running it will send signal for the pump to run continuously supplying the engine.

2 things to check,
1 when you turn the key to the on position does the check engine light come on? Mine didn't with a bad ECM, but did with a new one. Once started it should turn off.

2 Have somebody turn the key and put your hand on the tank to see if you feel vibration of the pump running.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
2bTim
Default Fuel Pump? Please Help!

Originally Posted by Mobile Auto Repair
How long do you try holding the starter on for? On my van it got to where it needed about 5 seconds of cranking to start up. Now that was one due to a leaking Check Valve in the fuel pump module. The check valve is designed to hold pressure in the fuel rail while the engine is off. Since it will start and run with gas poured down the throttle plates then yes I would get the pump replaced. You may also find that cranking it for 10 seconds may get the engine to catch and run on its own. But that will still mean it is time for a new pump module.
Thanks for the info, since my original post I've had someone start my van about every other day by pouring the gas into the throttle plates. It never would crank on it's own even when holding the starter 5 or more seconds. But the last time I had it cranked I had my nephew move it and turn it around in the yard, but since then it will only crank and run when gas is poured into the throttle plates, but stops running when it burns that gas, it will no longer keep running on it's own. I hope this isn't a bigger problem than what i already had. I've ordered and recieved a new fuel pump and now just waiting for my nephew or a friend to have the time to replace the fuel pump.(Where are the cheaper websites that carry parts we need?)

When you say your problem was from a leaking Check Valve in the fuel pump module, was that all you had to replace? Or did you have to replace the fuel pump too? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

On mine I replace the entire fuel pump module. The module had the pump, filter, check valve, pressure regulator, sending unit, and sock as one assembly.

Sounds like your pump pressure is not meeting the demand of the engine.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
2bTim
Default Fuel Pump? Please Help!

On mine I replace the entire fuel pump module. The module had the pump, filter, check valve, pressure regulator, sending unit, and sock as one assembly.

Sounds like your pump pressure is not meeting the demand of the engine.

Thanks for your help, because I'd be lost without the help I've gotten here on the Dodge Forum from you guys. My fuel pump has everything in one assembly if i'm not mistaken. It's made by Airtex, here's the info on it, "Airtex Fuel Pump Module Assembly Part No. E7104M" from advance auto. I'm just waiting for my friend to put it on for me. I'd do it myself but I'm disabled and in a wheelchair, so all I can do is supervise ;-) But I still like to know how something is supposed to be done just in case. Is this the same fuel pump your van used and is this what I need to solve my problems? Thanks in advance and have a Happy New Year All.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 2bTim
"Airtex Fuel Pump Module Assembly Part No. E7104M" .... Is this the same fuel pump your van used and is this what I need to solve my problems? Thanks in advance and have a Happy New Year All.
That is the same part number. And unless you have an electrical issue before the pump then installing the new pump should have your van fixed.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 AM
2bTim

That is the same part number. And unless you have an electrical issue before the pump then installing the new pump should have your van fixed.

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to try and get it done today while it's 57 degrees outside and sunny here in NC. We've had abunch of cold weather here since we had that snow storm last weekend. Well gotta go and i'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again...

Old 12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
2bTim

The fuel pump fixed it!! Thanks for all the info Captian. I really appreciate the Dodge forums. Here's a tip I learn today when we were replacing my fuel pump that might help some of you folks out there like myself that don't know that much about cars/vans. When we started we took the negative cable off the battery, then open gas tank cap, then we took off the 2 straps that go from front to back of tank, then we placed a floor jack under the tank and then loosen the strap that goes accross the tank to slowly let right side down until we could reach the top of the tank and disconnect the hoses and wiring harness. then we loosen the pipe clamp and slipped the tank off the refueling pipe. Then we started taking the fuel pump out and then took out the gas. When we started putting the tank back on we had trouble getting the pipe sticking out the side of the tank to slide into the refueling pipe, because the tralier hitch frame was in the way, so I told my nephew to pull the pipe out of the side of the tank and attach it to refueling pipe first, then slide the tank back on that pipe. That made it a lot easier!! I hope these steps will help someone else hopefully. Thanks again Captian....

Old 12-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Good trick to know if someone has the frame mounted hitch assembly. Glad you were able to get it done and have your vehicle back up and running.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump? Please help!