Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Coolant in oil pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
spacecadetspiffy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in oil pan?

Hello everyone. I have a 97' ram 2500 utility van with a 3.9L v6 that has coolant leaking into the oilpan. I noticed it loosing coolant from time to time but thought it was a hose but I checked the engine over and found no hose problems or any signs of an external leak and had no problems with performance so I figured the leak would eventualy get so bad it would be easy to find.Anyway this went on for about 9 months and all of the sudden I got coolant all in my oil pan! I dumped the oil and noticed it was a lot of water and my rad was now empty. I filled the rad with water and left out the oil drain plug and had water dripping out of the pan so, I pulled the heads and drivers side had cracks between in/ex valves but the other one looked ok. I had the other one checked at a machine shop and got a refurb. head from them for the other side. Checked the top of the block with dye and uv light. Looks great so, I put it back together thinking everything should be good to go. Cranked up smooth idled smooth, all good right? Wrong within 10 minutes I noticed the coolant was low again.
Drained the oil and had the same thing as before! WTF? where else could the coolant be getting in there from? Intake has no cracks, Heads are good, block looks ok.Anyone have a prob like this before?I will be up all night. Please help

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

If the water pump impeller dug a hole through the timing cover or if the timing cover to block gasket leaks; you'll get coolant in the crankcase. Also, a cracked block will leak as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
spacecadetspiffy
Default re: water in oil pan

Thanks Alloro,
I did not take the timing cover off to inspect the block from the front. The water pump went out in late 09' and it did dig in a bit but it looked ok. Do the blocks crack up front near the the timing cover? I have never had this kind of problem with an engine before and not much exp. with dodge.(except the old slant 6's) I have always had chevy's. I have 2 service trucks with 350's in them with over 500k miles and one 01' Tahoe with 355k miles. I have 2 of these dodge service vans and have had no major issues with the other one.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by spacecadetspiffy
Do the blocks crack up front near the the timing cover?
It's not a common occurrence, but it's not unheard of either.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 PM
obiewan kanobe

sounds like it may have overheated at some time in the past, causing cracks. might be best to stop throwing money in it and get a good long block. usually get some warranty and with loving care, another 200,000 miles!! the van bodys are strong that year and can run until gas vehicles are obsolete !.......happy trails

Old 01-26-2012, 11:55 PM
99VanMan

If your water pump impelled gouged the timing cover, you could have a small crack or pinhole through the cover. I found mine by looking at the back of the cover while holding it up to the sun, and seeing a tiny point of light shining through. Also, most of the bolts on the timing cover go through to coolant galleries in the block. In all, there are near 20 points, most in the water pump/timing cover assembly, where coolant can leak into the crankcase. Not counting cracks. You could try replacing gaskets on both pump and cover, using thread sealer on all through bolts. Check the chain and gears while you're there. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pour water/coolant into the radiator and it is dripping out of the oil pan just due to gravity then you have a fairly good sized hole in the system. Small cracks will leak coolant under pressure (when the engine is running and up to temp) but your problem is quite a bit more serious.

Quick Reply: Coolant in oil pan?