Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

steering wheel not returning to center

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 AM
RussellRowell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel not returning to center

Hello, I have been replacing parts on my van since I got it about a year ago. So I finally get to the gear because my steering sucks.

Things done prior to this:
upper/lower ball joints, moog
coil springs, moog
bearings,frontwheel
2500 springs in rear
fr/rr shocks
tires, ltx2

So I take it to tire kingdom for alignment. They say everything is good except the gear needs replacing. So I replace the gear plus the steering pump, pressure/return hoses. Take it back for another alignment. It felt good except it wouldn't return to center after turning left. I take it back and they say alignment is good, so gear must be defective. So I replace the gear again from napa. One more alignment later (which is dead on looking at the computer) and still no return to center. I'm in need of an opinion. It's easy to turn to the left. It's harder to turn to the right. It does this with or without power steering (driving down the road and shutting the engine off). I was thinking of adjusting the gear but not sure with it being new(reman). If you turn it to the right and let go, it will turn back hard and start going to the left. I'm having to steer this van continuously.

Thanks,
Russell

Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

If it's a rebuilt gear then return it and go buy one somewhere else. The rebuild house is not adjusting the steering gear properly after rebuilding it.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I replaced my Steering gear, I had to transfer the control valve body to the steering valve body on the new gear. The steering valve body was supposed to be correctly adjusted by the factory. They say if the assist is stronger in one direction than the other that the valve should be loosened slightly and tapped up or down until assist is equal.

I got a reman gear from AZ. Atsco or Apsco brand, cant remember. It does not leak, but it is still disgustingly loose. They just replace the seals, not the worn components. They are really junk.

If you jack up the front end, and start the engine does the steering wheel turn on it's own?

You post indicates that you think the problem lies in the steering components other than the gear.
I've heard more than one horror story about leaky Napa reman steering gears.

What are the conditions of your tires? Swap them and see if the problem follows the switch.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

I personally don't like computer alignment systems. Not that the system is defective but that the operators don't neccissorally know how to operate and or have it calibrated correctly.

On my Impala I had the Firestone Lifetime Alignment and it kept wearing out the front tires because of the camber being set wrong. Took it back and they "showed" me that the alignment was "perfect". I wore out a second set of tires and finally had it aligned by a shop that uses the tried and true mechanical system and the operator noticed right away that the camber was wrong before he even started on the car.

I recommend finding a shop that does the mechanical alignment and see what they can do for you.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM
RussellRowell
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now put 3 reman gears in it from napa and it's still the same. My tire's are new ltx m/s. The steering does not turn on it's own when jacked up. I don't see the tires being the problem. Is their any way the alignment place could have faulty alignment equipment? Should I take to another place to get alignment checked?
If I'm driving on a long left turn curve. The steering feels like it should(steers on it's own)in the turn. But once I have to start straightening out, it's difficult to turn to the right and once I'm straight, I have to continue holding the wheel because it feels like it wants to go left as though the caster is angled to the left slightly. So couldn't the alignment still be adjusted wrong even though their computer said it was ok. The tires look straight with steering wheel straight when I park.

Landyacht, I wish I knew more about what you where saying. My gear doesn't look like the one in the picture. If it is what I think, I would have to take the gear out to be able to get to the adjusting bolts. I guess I will go get my money back and get another gear from somewhere else.

I found a 6" long crack in the middle of the serpentine belt running length wise. Was gonna replace it soon but been trying to get the steering right first. This wouldn't be the culprit ya think?

Thanks for the replies

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The crack in the belt is not the cause.
I agree, it might be time to try a different alignment shop. Their equipment could be faulty as MAR pointed out above.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:17 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

I'd forgotten they started using different steering gears in later models. Sorry for the confusion.

If the wheels do not turn on their own when lifted with the engine running, then the control valve, wherever it might be located, is not likely the issue.

If no other steering components are binding, then all arrows point at the alignment shop. Perhaps they are not giving the right specs to the computer, perhaps they are training a new guy.

Here were the specs from after the alignment on my '89 which are not quite what my service manual specs. But it drives very straight.

Quick Reply: steering wheel not returning to center