Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Burned up 2 PCM/ECU .... Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
target4fun7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned up 2 PCM/ECU .... Help?

Okay so I first replaced the battery thinking that was the issue, didnt fix. Then the alternator didnt fix then the PCM that fixed the problem for about 2-3 weeks then it went out again thought it was a defective one so I sent it back. However the 2nd one burned up about 2-3 weeks of driving. I have all of the shop manuals but cant seem to diganose what is going on. I know that the PCM is 99.99 percent buring up because of something else as Ive been threw two of them now and im working on my third.

My Specs:
2001 Dodge van 1500 5.2 80k

Other things that may be related:
1. I had to replace the A/C blower motor resistor twice during this time of all this going on.
2. I have had a ABS light and Parking Brake light on for about a year (I was told this was a ABS sensor, but there is 3 so I dunno which one to replace?)

Any ideas, help or direction would be greatly appreciated as im down and with out until I get this fixed. Thanks for any help!

Old 04-27-2011, 05:19 PM
fielder87
Rookie

Why did you assume the battery?

Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
target4fun7

Cause it was old. I figured it might be the alternator but the battery was so old I knew it was needing a replacement anyway. Here in south texas with the heat the battery almost never last much longer than their warranty period...

Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to make sure the sensors have the correct resistence, and that their feed wires or return are not shorted to ground.

Also Any ECM activated solenoids, like the ones in the transmission cannot be shorted out.

My ecm failed because a wire leading to the lock up solenoid had chafed on the transmission bell housing and was grounding out.
Good luck
http://cardone.com/English/club/memb...ARTNUM=798580V

Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by target4fun7
Okay so I first replaced the battery thinking that was the issue, didn't fix.
It sounds like you're dropping this on us in the middle of the problem. What were the original symptoms?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 PM
target4fun7

Original problem was the car wouldnt start no power.... I thought it was the battery so I replaced .... 2 days later the car didnt charge the battery at all so I figured it was the alternator ..... so i changed that .... That didnt solve the problem I found out that the voltage is not regulated by the alternator but by the PCM when I replaced it worked for a few weeks then it burned up again while i was driving the CEL came on and then i could tell the battery isnt being charged any more .... same exact sympthoms.... changed out the PCM again solved it for about 2 to 3 weeks then while driving on the highway the CEL came on and fried the 2nd PCM and now I have the same exact sympthoms again....

The batt and the alternator are both new so I was just ruling that out.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

It sounds to me like you have missing or bad grounds that bond the engine and body together.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
It sounds to me like you have missing or bad grounds that bond the engine and body together.
Alloro, that could be true for, even for his model year like mine. I had found the ground strap from near the alternator and near the ignition coil went bad on my van. The remanding part of the ground strap just disintegrated between my fingers when touched. The underhood temps of our vans and being in the south is a problem like this. Vans do not get much air circulation under the dog-house.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
target4fun7

That makes a lot of sense as it gets super hot here in south texas.... Im waiting on the PCM to come back so I can test for that. Ill def keep yall updated on what it is ...

Stev I also looked at that ground strap near the alternator and it appeared to be in working order but I wont know for sure until I get the PCM back.

Is there any other ground straps I should check out? Im going to check my shop manual and see if they are posted in there if they are I will post their locations here so if anyone in the future has this problem they can easily check.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Target4fun77

Okay so I got the new PCM, I visually checked the ground stev talked about and it looked good. Would I be best to take this to a stealership and see if it runs any codes? I would liek to get around paying them 100 dollars just for running the check but if it would save time i would do it? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Burned up 2 PCM/ECU .... Help?