Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Diesel in a Van?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
steve431
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel in a Van?

I was hoping to buy a Dodge Van RV, preferably a Roadtrek from late 80's to 2003. If I get an older one I was thinking about a drivetrain swap from a similiar age Dodge Truck with the diesel engine. Anyone ever swap in a diesel into the vans? Or have any ideas about such a swap. I plan on towing a very heavy trailer, so I was hoping to get the diesel gas mileage with the slightly more expensive diesel price.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not aware of anyone doing a Diesel swap into these vans. I don't think there is enough room under the dog house to shoe horn one in there unless you put a newer 4 banger Diesel engine in there. And I am not sure it would fit either.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On one of those diesel swap sites ( www.4btswaps.com ), there are a rare few Ram Vans with the diesel. Starting in 1998-2003, the Ram van engine area grew like 4-inches. This would help with a swap.

Cummins has a 4TB that should fit like a glove. However, when the Hp and torque are compared to the gas 5.2L/318cid Magnum engine, the ratings are nearly identical.

The Case IH 4T-390 is the same engine as the Cummins. They are the same - but look it over carefully, THERE ARE SOME VARIATIONS. Tractors are like that.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Good afternoon, thought I would weigh in I have a 1996 B3500 wagon which has 5k airbags coil over shocks and dually axle.

Van has a rebuilt stock 360, 4000lb front axle and 3.90 open rear end, I have towed over 10k up to 14k with ease through the Northeast as I live in Massachusetts.

Has a very nice ride handling is about 200% better, no axle hop over sharp bumps on the highway and trailer sway is a thing of the past.

For sometime I planned to install a 6bt even purchased a rebuilt long block ($3900 from Virgina)and was on my way UNTIL I spoke a a guy in Mid West who has one and is into the van to the tune of 40k plus.

What I and you may be over looking is the amount of heat a 6bt is going to generate and that the dashboard and dog house will be inches above it and he left me with the amount of noise when you have a 6bt sitting beside you.

I still have the urge but you are not talking about a swap you must do quite a bit of engineering to prevent the exhaust heat from setting your van on fire.

Not impossible just more work than the average person thinks, the guy told me to consider it carefully he also added he would not do it again.

That being said I would love to have a 6bt but this 360 is dead nuts reliable and I tow at about 65mph @1900rpms get 8mpg with 10k+ following me.

Should you go for it good luck it will be a monster.

I would say most conversion vans I have seen are B2500 you may be better off with a 1ton chassis to start may save some money in the long run.

Best Regards

Old 05-13-2011, 01:28 PM
iodj44
Veteran

My mistake most RV Conversions are 1 tons.

Quick Reply: Diesel in a Van?