Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Conversion Van - Motorized Bed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Snag
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion Van - Motorized Bed

Two questions in one day, is that allowed??

I spent a good part of the afternoon trying to trouble shoot why the electronic motor will not operate. The motor is good. I unplugged it and rigged up a switch to my portable DC battery and it will operate both ways.

Any thing that remotely resembles a fuse has been pulled and tested, at the small fuse box next to the bed, at the drivers door and under the hood.

The bed can be controlled by two switches. I pulled the switches and have continuity between both and DC at both. I have DC and at the plug that goes to the motor and continuity back to the switches, yet neither switch operates the bed.

I don't know where else to look. I thought maybe the switches were actually controlling relays that control the direction of the bed but I have no clue where to look.

Is this were I ask "HELP"?

Thanks heaps,

Carolyn

Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Snag
Amateur

Google was able to point me to several sofa control modules, so I was right in thinking that those switches were controlling a relay. I searched High and Low for the module (the destructions for installing a new module say they should be located close or on the bed) not the case here. I've got two wires (white and yeller) going from the motor and disappearing under the carpet at the wheel well. The wiring for the rear switch runs up toward the roofline. The wiring on the forward switch runs down toward the floor. I have no clue where they hid the relay and understand Elk went out of business in 2004. I think I may just take a trip to Radio Shack to see if I can come up with a switch config that I can use with my portable battery. I don't think it is worth spending the time to trouble shoot this as I won't be using it often. If I ever end up losing my home and living out of my van, I may reconsider ;-)

Carolyn

Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Some of the other members maybe able to help with this problem. I don't know where they put the relay either. I haven't worked on conversion vans for awhile. I would send either Alloro or landyacht a pm. They maybe able to give you an answer?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sofa Bed had a single rocker switch for the motor, and the thing was not even fused.

Rather than looking and cursing and searching for relays and fuses and such, I'd wire in a new properly fused rocker switch with some fresh 10 awg wiring.

I very much enjoyed taking a sawsall to my sofabed and sending it out with the recycling. The thing was horrendously uncomfortable, and a nightmare to store things under. A waste of space.

I kept the motor and rocker switch and actuators. It now powers the sliding glass window behind my Fridge.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Snag
Amateur

Landyacht! I read that post!! Thanks for the advice but I'm going to try to keep the bed. Up as a sofa, I can run 3 xpens front to back and not have them take up floor space. My ezup fits snuggly between the seat back and the extendabed I fit my other dog show equip under there as well, and I can leave it all there without having to unpack. I don't have to worry that the load will shift and possibly land on the dogs.

The wiring to the motor appears to be good. Next time I'm near a Radio Shack I thought I'd peek in and see what they might have. I' do have room for a 2nd and third switch. If I have time yet, I may see if I can fish a wire down to the floor and see if I can snag it without having to tear the interior out.

Carolyn

Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact CPC Parts. They bought all of the existing ELK, PrimeTime, Mark III and many other conversion company inventory, tooling and in some cases the very buildings with work the same workers. www.cpcparts.com Give them a call and see if they know of the ELK placement for the sofa-bed electrical.

Quick Reply: Conversion Van - Motorized Bed