Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 AM
unclejims_van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please

2003 Ram Van B-1500, 5.2, 71,000 miles, driven in Texas

Recently I've noticed a slight hesitation (random) when starting off from a traffic light. Almost feels like a "bump". Also, (sometimes) when trying to pick up speed while already moving, it will "buck" several times. Letting up on the throttle, the bucking stops and all is well.

This is a work van that is heavily loaded with tools and such (probably 2000 pounds). But it is not driven many miles, perhaps 4000/year and mostly city driving. Plugs were replaced about 10,000 to 12,000 miles ago (about 3 years).

Prior repair history (nothing that affects this issue) include water pump, idler pulley, belt, brakes, etc.

By the way, the check engine light is NOT on. Also, the idle might be a little rough at times. But not bad.

What should I be checking. Most of my automotive experience was from pre-computer vehicles (points and carbs).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by unclejims_van; 08-30-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting the same symptoms when my spark plug wires looked just fine and dandy, but were not. Nighttime revealed a nice little light show going on under the doghouse.

Other culprits could be the throttle position sensor, or the 2 wire coolant temp sensor

Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

You might also want to test the fuel pressure to make sure the pump isn't going bad on you.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Mr.Kleen

Did the engine light come on?Do you have a code scanner?My 2003 2500 van "bucked" a few times and threw a code for an interrupted cam or crank sensor signal.I cleaned and reconnected the connectors and haven't had that "buck" or code return.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 AM
unclejims_van

Yesterday afternoon I read Landyacht318's post. I went ahead and replaced the ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor. It was time anyway. Besides, these items cannot be in question should further diagnosis be needed.

The rotor didn't look too good. But then I found one connection at the distributor cap (and its ignition wire) were completely corroded under the boot.

Van runs great now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Two more Questions:

1.) I sometimes see posts about ignition coil failure. I'm curious as to the age or mileage that this can occur. Would it be prudent to just go ahead and replace it at some point in the future before it actually fails. If so, when?

2.) Alloro mentioned the fuel pump. I have seen several posts regarding weak or otherwise bad pumps. While mine is likely OK for now, I would like to know the average life and at what mileage they typically fail.

Thanks Again everyone.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:36 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by unclejims_van
2.) Alloro mentioned the fuel pump. I have seen several posts regarding weak or otherwise bad pumps. While mine is likely OK for now, I would like to know the average life and at what mileage they typically fail.
The lifespan of a fuel pump varies greatly from vehicle to vehicle. Climate, maintenance, driving conditions, and average fuel levels all can contribute in different ways to how long the pump lasts.