Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

94 B250 Driver Side Door Latch/Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM
HoosierDaddy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 B250 Driver Side Door Latch/Lock Problem

I've searched the forums and didn't see anything closely resembling my problem. If I've overlooked it, my apologies. However, I've suddenly developed a weird problem.

I am unable to unlock the door with the key. It has to be opened from the inside by pulling the door release as if to be exiting the vehicle. The lock will not release any other way. Even pulling up on the lock stem doesn't work. It seems to hang about ½ way up without ever really 'clicking'.

Once the door is opened, it will not latch again when closing unless the door is locked before closing it.

I've pulled the panel and checked for wear, bent or loose linkage, loose key tumbler holder, doused it with WD-40 but everything appears to be in functioning order by manually working each linkage inside the door as far as I can tell.

This was an old telephone service van so the locks are manual and not power. The door used to have some sag in it but I fixed that a couple of years ago so that may or may not be a contributing factor. I'm inclined to think it isn't.

As far as I can figure, the internal mechanics of the lock are worn out and it's time for a new latch assembly.

Am I wrong?

The following users liked this post:
rouge5 (08-18-2024)
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker

Have you pulled the assembly out of the door to check it? I tried to look into my passenger side mechanism with flashlight and mirrors when it had an issue and did not see the problem until I bought a replacement and switched it out. Then I found a bent piece and was able to repair by bending it back in place. I suspect it ran dry of lubricant and caused a bind that bent it. Once re-lubed and straightened it functioned fine. Mine was the internal handle was not working and you had to open the door from the outside.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
HoosierDaddy

Thanks M.A.R. No, I didn't pull the assembly out of the door. It hardly seemed worth the time until I knew for sure that I needed to. I still use the van as a service van and really don't have the time to invest tearing into it not knowing what the problem is.

For now, I'm content with reaching through the wing and opening from the inside when I need to get in. To me, it seems like a conflict between the outside door latch and the lock assembly but I don't know.

I did however discover that if I slammed the door really hard it would latch without needing to have it locked to latch. It helps some but when working in a less than desirable neighborhood, I need to lock it before closing the door wherein reaching through the wing or going through the passengers side is the only way I'm getting back in.

Old 08-18-2024, 11:14 PM
rouge5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have same problem same side..mine powered 1992 B250 conversion van. won't open with key and constantly you have to slam the door to latch fully

Last edited by rouge5; 08-18-2024 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by rouge5
Have same problem same side..mine powered 1992 B250 conversion van. won't open with key and constantly you have to slam the door to latch fully
Is the door shell torn around the latch? If it is, new door time... (or, a good used one...) If it isn't, try cleaning the latch with some brake clean, and hitting it with some spray white grease. If the hinge pins are worn, that will contribute to the problem as well.

Old 08-19-2024, 10:41 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

These things are known for wearing the hinge pins which can cause other problems you wouldn't think were related. See if you have some slop in pin area and if so get a Dorman pin kit and see if that helps. Might also need a striker pin if the door has been sagging and wearing on it.

Quick Reply: 94 B250 Driver Side Door Latch/Lock Problem