Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
freykatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrations

Good morning ya'll, got a question please. This ole 89 B250 extended van sat around for 5 or 6 yrs. before I got ahold of it. Since then, am redoing the interior to live in and travel, have replaced tires , fuel pump, gas tank, and computor module (used), 170, 000 + miles, engine runs good, tranny seems to be ok, but, when reaching 45 mph, it vibrates some when letting off the gas pedal, when just barely touching the gas pedal, vibration stops, have crawled under and checked u-joints and visibly checked motor mounts, etc., and everything seems solid. Does anyone have any ideas or experienced this sort of thing? dick

Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to the Ram van section,
FF

Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my '89 is right around 45 mph, the lock up torque converter will engage under light throttle.

Many years ago, after a tranny rebuild, it would begin to shudder at that speed, and that was due to the rebuilders using the incorrect tranny fluid. A fluid exchange/flush at a dodge dealer with then ATF+3 cured the issue.

Now I use ATF+4. Anything else is a big no no in these vans

Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
freykatt
Default vibrations

Wrong fluid?, hmm, might be time anyway to flush the tranny, thanks Landyacht318. dick

Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

Most tranny shops will not use ATF +4, but their bulk universal fluid with an additive that is supposed to bring the fluid to chrysler specs.

Do not believe this is acceptable.

I'd drop the pan yourself, install a drain plug in it, replace the filter, and check the connections to the 2 solenoids located in the pan.

You will need 4 quarts of atf to replace what comes out. Having the drain plug allows you to easily dilute the old worn fluid with fresh ATF +4.

A lot of places that perform flushes do not drop the pan and replace the filter. The new fluid's detergents scrub the internals, and can clog the filter which is partly the reason you hear of so many transmission failures after a flush is performed

Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 PM
freykatt

Drain plug, good idea. I have no idea if and when anything was done to the tranny, it does seem to shift ok at this time.
Also, the vibrations are only around 45 and above when letting off the gas pedal.
Thanks ya'll, I appreciate the info very much. dick

Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker

When I travelled Australia 13 years ago I bought a very uncomplicated 73 Holden Kingswood.

Right at 45 MPH, yes it did read miles instead of Kilometres, a vibration would develop, and got significantly worse when letting off the Gas, umm petrol pedal.

It was the U joints.
Check them again.

After replacement of the U joints, the thing drove so incredibly nice, I kept this vehicle over a year and sold it on the other side of the country for the same price I purchased it.

My Van only suffered from torque converter clutch chatter ( the shuddering/ vibrations) when accelerating slowly from 47 to 62 mph under light acceleration, and that issue has not returned ever since I had a dodge dealer exchange the fluid with ATF +3 , in 2003.

See if rotating the tires changes the vibration at all.

Do the 'key dance' and see if you get any transmission solenoid codes.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
freykatt

I've got a friend who is a mechanic somewhat, shadetree type, lol and will get him to do some checking for me as I am a bit handicapped and it would be a huge effort for me. Hopefully it will be something as simple as U-joints or wheel swapping. I will also try to find someone I can trust to flush the tranny, filter, etc. properly as it should be done anyway at this time.
I am curious, now that I think of it, the O/D button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel, is overdrive active with the light on or off? dick

Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM
freykatt

Ok, sorry for the time lapse. I have since last report, installed a new transmission mount, motor mounts and have eliminated the vibration problem, such a relief, rides like a new one now, Many thanks to all that lent their assistance, hope everyone enjoyed a lot 0 turkey yesterday, lol. Alka seltzer anyone?

Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Snag
Amateur

I have a slight vibration at around 50 mph in my 2002 1500 Ram Van. Thought it was the universal joints but they were good and tight. Turned out the weights on the rear drums were so rusty that the weights had fallen off. I beat a big pile of the rust off the drums which helped with the vibration but still need to replace the drums. It is an easy thing to check and an inexpensive fix.

Carolyn

Quick Reply: Vibrations