Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Temp gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
rjameshaney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge?

I just bought a 1992 dodge ram 250 van. It is in great shape, and runs good, but the temperature gauge sits at 3/4 during normal operation. It doesn't move, it stays right at 3/4. Is this a problem? I've had someone tell me that is normal, but I'm not so sure. If it is a problem, what could be causing it? Please help. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is right out of my '89 factory service manual.

Last year, I replaced my 1 wire temp sender and the gauge went from reading too low to the correct range.

You should determine if you are actually running that hot with an IR thermometer on the t stat housing.

Years ago when my gauge read in the maximum normal range during a x country trip, I changed the t stat on I 10 in west Texas for a fix. The old t stat had froze at 1/3 open.

Your radiator could be partially clogged.

Your water pump impeller might be in rough shape, or spinning sometimes on the shaft. Does highway cruising lower the temp? If so, fan clutch.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 AM
rjameshaney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks for the info. Highway cruising, temp stays the same. I also have high oil pressure. I think I'll try a radiator flush.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge?