Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine Rebuild/Replacement Query

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM
crotermund
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild/Replacement Query

Hey there everyone, did some searching and came up short on the following question. I was hoping the group could help me out.

My 1996 Dodge B2500 5.2L has about 170K on the motor, with the transmission having been rebuilt around 130K. The current issues with the van are as follows:
  • Excessive oil consumption
  • Overheating under load (especially when climbing hills)
  • Loss of power after several hours of driving.

I'm thinking the motor could use a rebuild, OR could stand to be replaced. That being said, does anyone have any experience getting their engine rebuilt or replaced in Northern California? I have no idea what to expect for costs, and I'm not sure which would be be the better option. We are looking to start towing a camp trailer, and I know this van can handle it (since it spent it's first 120K doing that exact thing) but I want to make sure it's as reliable as possible before we start.

I've already replaced the catalytic converter and O2 sensors, timing cover, timing chain and sprockets (upgraded to the double chains when that was done), and water pump, along with the starter and ignition lock module.

Thanks in advance for any advice the group can provide.

All the best,

Cody

Old 11-01-2011, 09:50 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $2800 In Ventura for a full rebuild with a new head and radiator. I do not feel i got a good deal, nor that they did a very good job.

I'd do a compression test before condemning the engine. Could be a bad plenum gasket or another issue

Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

If you have the mechanical skill to change the timing chain and gears then I'd say you are suited to replace or rebuild the engine yourself. I'd recommend buying a remanufactured long block from a reputable company that comes with a 12/12 warranty and put that in.

You could rebuild your original engine and save it for future or sell it to recover some of the cost for the expense of the remanufactured engine. Sometimes you have to give the original engine back to the remanufacturing company as a core, so check that out carefully before making a decision.

Good luck.

Last edited by Rusty93RamVan; 11-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
crotermund

Thanks so far guys. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do my own repairs for awhile, so I'm going to have to shop it out.

I guess the best thing would be to get it to a local mechanic that knows Mopar and have them run it through some diagnostics. Heck, it may just be a gasket issue as suggested, or maybe something a new set of rings would solve.

If anyone else wants to chime in with suggestions, recommendations, warnings, or mockery, please do so. I want to make sure I'm analyzing all the possible approaches before I commit.

All the best,

Cody

Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by crotermund
...Heck, it may just be a gasket issue as suggested, or maybe something a new set of rings would solve...
If you get to the inside of the engine as far as the rings you'll already be in the belly of the beast, so I'd suggest a proper rebuild at that point.

Tearing the engine down with the intention of changing only the rings will cause you a lot of grief -- I could write five paragraphs on why you shouldn't do that.

Also, I wouldn't for one second think of bringing it back to the shop or mechanic who did your "rebuild" 40K miles ago.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:30 PM
crotermund

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
Also, I wouldn't for one second think of bringing it back to the shop or mechanic who did your "rebuild" 40K miles ago.
Ahh, I don't think I was clear. The transmission was rebuilt about 40K ago, and working great. That mechanic was in Idaho though, or I would go back to him.

Cody

Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About five months back, I got a Mopar magazine that had complete engines for sale. These were factory 440s, 360s, 383s, 340s, 318s and others I don't recall. Supposedly these were not rebuilds but replica new with enhancements over the old design pumping out more poser and torque. The price on the Magnum 5.2L/318cid was about $8,000 crated and ready to bolt in the engine bay. Just add oil and turn the key to go. The 440 and 340 engines were $12,000. If I had money and the 340 would bolt in the van, I'd be there in a heart beat.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild/Replacement Query