Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Long-Hard Start takes two cranks of the key.. Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Mfins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-Hard Start takes two cranks of the key.. Help

Had a stalling and running rich issue, Replaced cap rotor plugs wires. Both o2 Sensors, Fuel Pump.. IAC valve, Temp sensors and the floor mats for good measure.. haha-
Anyway It seems to Still have a very slight miss but thats not the issue. When I go to start it, it will be a very hard start but what works is turning the key and trying to start the engine for 3-5 seconds. Then turning the key back to ACCESORY only and trying to crank again. It starts right up.. Any Ideas.. Thanks.. Basically I have to try and start it twice and than it will turn over and run normal

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Xxaler
Professional

Turning the key to accessory, off, accessory, off, accessory, crank make any difference?

If anything, fuel pressure test. Leaking somewhere.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:58 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed it sounds like a fuel pressure thing. Does the van show any codes?

What year?

What engine type?

If it's a Magnum engine, then the pressurized fuel system isn't keeping pressure upon the first turn of the key. Usually, I wait until I hear the fuel pressure pump kick in and holds before starting. When the pump is quiet on warmer days, I wait until the dash lights and the key chimes are done at four dings before turning the key.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM
Mfins

Thanks-- I just replaced the fuel pump and don't want to have to do it again unless the pump I bought is defective..

It is a 96 Dodge Ram E2500 Conversion. 5.9L

Basically its crank (3 seconds) accesorry crank 3 seconds start

If I do not turn key back to accesorry it will just crank for about 10 seconds.. Sometimes it will start and sometimes just keep cranking

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try taking a hair dryer to the PCM for a few minutes and then see if it starts right up. If so then the PCM will need to be replaced shortly.

Also check the fuel pump pressure if your fuel rail has the test port in it. That will tell you if it is holding the pressure and how long it takes to build up to the 47psi needed to run the engine.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:42 AM
Mfins

Thanks again, I just replaced both PCM's.. (didnt know there were two) but still doing The hard start.. No check engine light and not running rich.. I guess the next step is checking the fuel pressure.
The other thing is the Gas Gauge does not move after I fill up the tank.. Then I hit a bump or turn sharply and it goes up.. I guess it is sticking.. Maybe I did get a bad fuel pump... Does this improve overtime.. Could it be something with the installation of the pump.. My mechanic did it.. Thxs

Quick Reply: Long-Hard Start takes two cranks of the key.. Help