Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

LSD - Clutch Packs Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 PM
alwayswrong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD - Clutch Packs Bad?

My 2003 Ram Van B3500 is having issues in the rear end. The previous owner had the diff fluid changed and I think his mechanic didn't add any friction modifier. Driving slow and just turning the wheels slightly left or right brings on the darnest chatter, bang and thump. A hard turn and it seems like 4x4 lock-up (this is 2x4). Added 4oz of modifier and it made about a 60% improvement, added 2oz more and there was a slight improvement again. Added two more oz's and not much of a change. Would adding more seem like a good idea or can you add too much? If the clutch packs are bad would they make any noise at all? BTW the owners manual calls for 5oz of modifier.

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Running without the FM could've caused damage to the clutch packs. But before getting into a panic over it, the first thing I would do is drain the rear end and then fill it with the correct fluid and FM. If the mechanic screwed up with the FM he could've put in the wrong fluid.

Quick Reply: LSD - Clutch Packs Bad?