Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

blower resistor repeat problem 99 Ram Van 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 AM
FionatheVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Black Van, Have the factory manual....However, have had entire rear unit dissassembled, have hand followed every wireing harness. There is NO resistor pack. Now, with that said, I am back to the Original question....could it have been ommitted?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:25 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FionatheVan
Yes Black Van, Have the factory manual....However, have had entire rear unit dissassembled, have hand followed every wireing harness. There is NO resistor pack. Now, with that said, I am back to the Original question....could it have been ommitted?
Seems unlikely, does the wiring to that resister pack exist?

My thought is perhaps someone began work to add this later but maybe didnt finish and some parts are still missing?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM
FionatheVan
Default Rear resistor

In answer to your question No, there is no wiring for the resistor pack. Wires come straight from front harness, thru connector near drivers side support, down lenght of van (conversion, so behind wall) to relays, and then to the motor. Like I said, the evap is spottless, as if it Never had any airflow. Not a spec of dust.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
jeepsteve92xj

My 99 conversion had the rear blower - double shafted twin squirrel cage in the air flow box. It was popping the fuse at any speed, within about 2 seconds (switched to a resettable breaker to troubleshoot).
The fuse was tucked inside the wall, and sort of tangled into the AC bulb and tube coils. I found it was easier to untangle and access with the window sill removed.
I managed to get the blower out without taking the wall down. Pulled out the wall and worked blind with stubby screwdrivers.
The motor itself is wired for multiple speeds.
In my case, the motor had a dead short with the hot lead wrapped around the shaft and worn through - I'd bet it was wrong and dead from the day it was assembled and tested once. The PO didn’t even know there was rear AC/Heat. I haven't found a new motor for less than $100, so I have a pair of 12V server case fans blowing from the passenger compartment through the air box. They run high speed, but aren't loud. I opened up the plastic grill a bit to allow the air to flow more easily.

Now I have a 95 conversion, and the rear fan works fine. (besides needing a vacuum draw and a proper refill)

Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 AM
FionatheVan

JeepSteve, I bought the motor for the rear unit online- 53bucks. If interetsed in knowing where let me know I will look it up. I guess I was lucky as to I have wonderful access to the blower, evap, and even side wiring harness the length of the van thru side panels. Is there a rear blower resisitor pack in every rear unit?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
jeepsteve92xj

I dont think mine has a resitor pack, I believe the mortor is wired for the different speeds.
If this url works, this is a possibility.
Not the same as mine as the diagrams show resistors for the blowers.
http://www.proairllc.com/PDFs/van%20...n%20manual.pdf

My double ended shaft motor has 4 wires, which were connected through basically a trailer light pigtail.
I see plenty of motors with only ground and hot leads, which would use the resistor.

And for sure, a $53 blower motor would be better than $100+

Old 12-03-2017, 07:10 PM
mike92B250
Default repeated blower motor resister failure

I now have a '99 ram van 1500 and have the "repeated blower motor resistor failure". I just replaced the blower motor and the resistor failed after a couple days of use. I'd like to measure the current from the motor. Anyone have the values?

thanks

Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Do you have wiring diagrams for the blower motor circuit? If so, find where the circuit finally grounds, and make sure it is clean and tight.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
mike92B250

Thanks HeyYou..... I have a factory manual and there are wiring diagrams in there. I will definitely check that out. I have heard that dodges are known for grounding issues. Great idea!

Quick Reply: blower resistor repeat problem 99 Ram Van 1500