Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

95 Converion Van 1500 3.9L Stalling/Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 PM
stanhorrell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Converion Van 1500 3.9L Stalling/Fuel?

I've got a 95 van 1500 with the 3.9L v6 and it has just started to stall after running fine for about 2-3 minutes. Runs fine, idles fine until it starts to warm up and then when you press down the accelerator it quits and won't start. Let it sit until cool and starts again every time. I figured at first it was the fuel pump but pulled the codes and it looked like the O2 sensor. Changed that out, same problem. I really didn't want to drop the tank to change the fuel pump but don't own a fuel pressure testing unit. My next step is to buy one and test the pressure but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Old 02-19-2012, 09:43 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by stanhorrell
I've got a 95 van 1500 with the 3.9L v6 and it has just started to stall after running fine for about 2-3 minutes. Runs fine, idles fine until it starts to warm up and then when you press down the accelerator it quits and won't start. Let it sit until cool and starts again every time. I figured at first it was the fuel pump but pulled the codes and it looked like the O2 sensor. Changed that out, same problem. I really didn't want to drop the tank to change the fuel pump but don't own a fuel pressure testing unit. My next step is to buy one and test the pressure but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Do you have one or two oxygen sensors in your Van? Mine is a 99 year and has one before and one after the cat. It might be worth looking to see if you have a second one.

Jason

Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM
stanhorrell
Default 2nd O2S

Thanks, I will check it when it stops raining. Garage is full of other projects.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

The other thing to check while you are under there is the Catalytic Converter itself. If a Catalytic converter is clogged, it will keep a car from running, esp when it warms up. I have also seen a Catalytic converter that is clogged or part clogged catch on fire.

Jason

Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 AM
gazza101
Rookie

I have this happen the last week I have a 96. Usually happened when low on gas, also running 85 instead of 87. so am using higher grade gas also put in some STP.

The restart is just a flooded engine not a symptom of what is happening.

Could also be your battery, our vans have such a deep cycle battery (770 CCA) that they are able to recover to a certain level but run out quickly. They last 4 to 6 years and because they are so big they take a long time to completely die.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM
stanhorrell

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
The other thing to check while you are under there is the Catalytic Converter itself. If a Catalytic converter is clogged, it will keep a car from running, esp when it warms up. I have also seen a Catalytic converter that is clogged or part clogged catch on fire.

Jason
A buddy at work mentioned the same thing yesterday. Thanks for the help. I will post the results.

Quick Reply: 95 Converion Van 1500 3.9L Stalling/Fuel?