Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Lets Talk about Rear Ends and required additive for clutch pack

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 PM
ComicDom1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Talk about Rear Ends and required additive for clutch pack

Today I was at the dealer and I am very friendly with someone in the parts dept that has been there for quite some time and is very familiar with dodge.

We got to talking about the rear end in my Van which is a 9 1/4 inch with 3:55 gears. Other than solving my Pcm Problems, I believe I will have to replace the Pinon bearings. Right now I am holding off for a while so I can get some money together for the parts and deciding if I am going to do or have it done at the dealer. The cost for I was quoted at the dealer for doing this is $450. The parts are around $250 so we are talking about $200 in labor.

If you recall, I got this van for free from my uncle in Palm Desert California where it had been sitting unused for 3 years. Before I drove it back to Illinois, we pulled the back inspection cover and checked the condition of the ring and pinon and they looked ok. My uncle took it to his mechanics and they refilled it with 80/90 weight but not synthetic.

What was mentioned to me today by my friend, is that there is an additive that was supposed to be added to the rear end. Its for the clutch pack. I am unaware if they added it or not so I am going to take care of it in the next couple of days.

I am wondering if any of you guru's that are familiar with the rear end I have mentioned can confirm whether or not the additive is necessary?

I am aware of the TSB that was mentioned in this forum in regard to using red line synthetic in the rear end but when I asked my buddy about that I was told that recommendation for red line synthetic was for mileage purposes.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Old 02-20-2012, 10:34 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ComicDom1
there is an additive that was supposed to be added to the rear end. Its for the clutch pack.
That's only if it's a limited slip rear end, standard rear ends do not get the additive. If your's is a LS rear end and they pulled the cover to inspect it, I'm quite certain they would've seen the clutch packs and put the additive in. Had they not, you would be getting sever chattering as you drive around corners.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Alloro, according to the printout for my vin number they gave me at the dealer it shows that I have Corporate 9.25 LD. Code is DRB. I also have Anti-Spin Differential Axle. Code is DSA. Since I was not there when they pulled the cover, how do I know exactly what I have other than the specs that the dealer pulled for me based on my Vin Number and build sheet?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should also be a sticker applied either under the hood or on the door post on the Driver's side of the van that gives some more detail on the factory specs of the rear. There should also be a metal ID tag attached to one of the bolts for the diff cover, but that may have been discarded by the mechanic who changed the diff oil. Mechanics rarely put those back on -- but you may get lucky and find it. The number stamped on the tag will further ID the diff.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

how do I know exactly what I have
The easiest way is to jack up the rear end so that both rear wheels are off the ground. With the van still in park and the ebrake off, try and spin one of the rear wheels. If you can't turn it you have a LS rear end, if the wheel on the opposite side spins in the opposite direct from the one you're turning, then you have a standard rear end.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:59 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

I checked the tag under the hood and it matches what they gave me at the dealer. I am probably going to throw the additive in since its only 5 ounces. I am also going to follow the procedure in the shop manual and attempt to identify the noise. I am not getting any chattering going around corners so they might have already put the additive in.

Do you think it would hurt to drop another 5 oz of additive in?

Oh by the way I fixed my electric mirror switch today and checked the rear air and heat blower and function and everything is working now. I only have to replace the bulb in the glove compartment and possibly the light unit under the hood. There is some corrosion in the unit light for under the hood but I hope I can clean it up.

After the rear end problem is solved, I think all I will have left is cleaning the carpet and seats, and polishing out the paint.

Not a bad deal for a free van!

Jason

Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am aware of the TSB that was mentioned in this forum in regard to using red line synthetic in the rear end but when I asked my buddy about that I was told that recommendation for red line synthetic was for mileage purposes.
Other than the MPG savings, 75W90 works really well in colder climates compared to the 80W90. See page 5 on the chart. http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf

When I check my Ram Van owners manual, it stated to use a friction modifier with the fluid. Even the official site of Mopar Magazine states to use it, " a few ounces of friction-modifier additive be added with the gear lubricant ..." http://www.moparmagazine.com/2008/ma...fer_cases.html

Quick Reply: Lets Talk about Rear Ends and required additive for clutch pack