Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2001 1500 5.2 Camshaft Pos Sensor Discontinued? Really?? Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 AM
target4fun7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 1500 5.2 Camshaft Pos Sensor Discontinued? Really?? Help

So recently past few months my van has been not starting intermettently and I have a brand new starter so I know that isnt it. And everything sounds great just can tell it isnt getting enough gas. I run for codes and get P320 & P340. Ah camshaft Posistion sensor ... not bad get the part replace right. Well thats the nightmare begins. I call every auto parts store you can think of: Napa, orelly, advance, pepboys ect and they say nope we dont have it. Everyone has the crankshaft position sensor but not camshaft... Call stealership: "Oh we discontinued that item" ... and it was 240 dollars before we discontinued it anyway. Call autoparts store ... I told them I already did ... well then junkyard is your only option...

I am a bit wery about getting auto parts such as this one from a junkyard. Since its a sensor...

Any tips, comments, direction? Ive never ran into this with a car before where a new part simply isnt an option. But its 2001 doesnt seem all that old to me?

Thanks as always guys!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are readily available so it could just be a problem of terminology. The camshaft position sensor is also known as a distributor pickup coil.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,7176

Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM
target4fun7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow good to know yeah thats all it was. Wrong terminology! None of the guys at the parts stores knew what I was talking about they just all said discontinued or we dont carry it.

I just spent the past 30 min cleaning the hell out of it I replaced the distupitor cap and rotor they did show some signs of arc and build up. I sprayed simple green on the Distribuitor pickup coil cleaned it real good and then used Q tips to get all mosture and dirt out. (dodge shop manual calls it camshaft position sensor.. doh).

The Van fired right up! So that fixed it hopfully for good? If not I feel good knowing that my part isnt Discontinued as I had first thought. Hopefully this will help someone else if they ever run into it...

Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM
blackvan
All Star
Smile

Originally Posted by target4fun7
The Van fired right up! So that fixed it hopfully for good? If not I feel good knowing that my part isnt Discontinued as I had first thought. Hopefully this will help someone else if they ever run into it...
Happy to hear this! And yes , that is the idea and the reason I am contributing to this forum now.

I purchased my Dodge van a year ago and I immediately started looking for answers to some of my general van questions. I have been working on American cars and trucks all my life but this is my first van and they are very different. There are common issues unique to vans and then also there are issues that are specific to these particular vans. I have found this forum helpful over the past year so I felt it was time to give something back.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Most stores have this part listed as a "stator." Ask for this and the doofus behind the parts counter will find it every time.

Quick Reply: 2001 1500 5.2 Camshaft Pos Sensor Discontinued? Really?? Help