Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

rear turn signal

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 PM
dgrun
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear turn signal

just got my remote door lock problem solved and a new problem crops up.

anyway, the right rear turn signal just stopped blinking. The tail light goes on, but does not blink.

It seems like there is just one bulb that does tail light, stop light, and turn signal duty. Is this right?

also, can the blink function go out but the tail light function still works?

last question, to access these bulbs, I remove the two torx screws holding the lens in, right? any other tricks?

thanks for the help, you guys seem to have the answers.

thanks again.

Dennis

Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 PM
blackvan
All Star

Usually means the flasher relay is failing. It is typically plugged into the fuse panel and looks like a small silver - or yellow, or black - can. To identify it turn on the turn signal (the side that is still working) and then touching the can. You should be able to feel the relay inside it clicking as it opens/closes the circuit.

Just pull it straight out and take it with you to Autozone (or your favorite parts store).

Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 PM
blackvan
All Star

To answer your tail light lens question: there are total of 4 Torx screws. Two on each side.

Updated bulb information:

One bulb for signal, hazard, brake, and tail light. The bulb has two filaments so yes, the tail light will still work when the signal/hazard/brake lamp filament has failed. part# 3157

One bulb for backup light. part# 921

One small bulb for marker light, this is a safety feature in case the regular bulb fails completely. part #168 wedge

Last edited by blackvan; 04-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
blackvan
All Star

I'm at work right now but when I had a minute I went outside to my van and checked for you. To the left of the fuse panel is a row of relays. The bottom relay, large and blue on mine, seems to be the flasher (turn signal) relay.

It may be a bad turn signal bulb. However today we mostly use heavy-duty flashers which continue to operate all the other bulbs even after one bulb fails.

Last edited by blackvan; 04-18-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:19 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrun
It seems like there is just one bulb that does tail light, stop light, and turn signal duty. Is this right?

also, can the blink function go out but the tail light function still works?
Yes and yes.

If the left blinker is working then the flasher unit is good.

Check the right front turn signal light on that side to see if it lights up. If not replace the front bulb and the rear one should start working again.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
dgrun
Amateur

ok, thanks for all the info.

I should have added that the only flasher NOT working is the right rear. So, it must be the second filament in the bulb.

thanks again for all the help.

I also noticed that the left rear side marker light is not working, I think I will just replace all the lights. I recently replaced the headlights.

thanks.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
blackvan
All Star

When replacing bulbs, you might want to look into LED tail lights. I am replacing all the bulbs in my van with these, a pair at a time. They draw less current and should be less susceptible to vibration. My subwoofers killed both bulbs in the roof mount brake light, twice

I've been buying mine here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Also you can get brighter versions that still fit but won't melt your lamp housing. I needed brighter backup lights so my backup camera would be more useful at night.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:55 AM
gazza101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackvan
When replacing bulbs, you might want to look into LED tail lights. I am replacing all the bulbs in my van with these, a pair at a time. They draw less current and should be less susceptible to vibration. My subwoofers killed both bulbs in the roof mount brake light, twice

I've been buying mine here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/

Also you can get brighter versions that still fit but won't melt your lamp housing. I needed brighter backup lights so my backup camera would be more useful at night.
That is a nice idea and they seem a reasonable price for what they are. also considering that you may also get some bad lamps as well I once went through 5 to fix a faulty lamp. A handy tip when installing standard ones is to not directly touch the lamps.

Quick Reply: rear turn signal