Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Headlight polishing

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 05:50 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight polishing

Just a note to let everyone know you do not need to replace these dumb plastic headlights when they turn yellow/opaque.

15 minutes with an air buffer at maybe 1000rpm and some medium compound and they will be better than new. I used 3M 05973 rubbing compound but anything this grade or finer should work OK. Keep it moving, check your progress, don't let the buffer sit in one spot for more than 4 seconds.

+/-30 minutes and $3 in materials vs $360 + shipping, it's up to you

Last edited by blackvan; 05-04-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Supradude
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree an easy way to brighten things up. I've used this product twice on mine over the years, some folks say spraying a light coat of clear coat helps them stay clear longer. It makes sense since the first time I did it it did seem to have some kind of coating. Anyone out there have experience with the coating of what it is?

Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supradude
spraying a light coat of clear coat helps them stay clear longer. It makes sense since the first time I did it it did seem to have some kind of coating. Anyone out there have experience with the coating of what it is?
Some people use clear coat (compatible with acylic/polycarbonate) or polycarbonate restorer. They claim these can last several years. Plain old carnuba wax works too.

Quick Reply: Headlight polishing