Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

no power 1997 ram van 5.2 auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An automatic is actually better for towing. I recommend reading all you can on this subject.

There is a known issue with the magnum engines where they develop a vacuuum leak at the bottom on the intake manifold. A better part is available, this requires a plenum plate replacement and gasket. Any competent mechanic should be able to correctly diagnose this and do the repair. Search for "plenum magnum engine" for more information.

Last edited by blackvan; 07-27-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gazza101
Other thing could be try running the vehicle a little before towing, a performance chip.
No such thing as a perfomance chip for this motor, its just snake oil. Adding a resistor to your IAT can be done for less than $1.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
bnweng
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey blackvan /// got my van back, and everything checked out in the engine, they said its in the tranny [99 percent sure]------ so off we go to the transmission shop

Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Before taking it to the transmission shop, I would recommend taking a look to see if the Plenum gasket is still intact. When it blows out, the engine has a large vacuum leak at the bottom of the intake that draws air from the crankcase. It is undetectable from outside the engine. Most people (and mechanics) aren't aware that it is even a problem.

A crude way to check your plenum is with a flash light, and dentist mirror. If you can, remove the throttle body, and peer down into the intake bores. You are looking for an excess amount of oil pooled in the bottom of the intake.

Either way, Good Luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:06 AM
gazza101
Rookie

Well towing is 50/50 on Auto vs Manual each to their own. Hope you find out what it is and a solution to fix it.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 AM
bnweng
Amateur
Default 5.2 no power

hello again ! -- got my van back,and it was the torque converter///tranny pan ,full of metal -complete rebuild $2600 ---------------HOWEVER , WHEN I WENT ON VACATION OUT OF STATE I GOT 19.2 MPG , so all that crap we did to engine was $ well spent --------------goodby for now [but i have a dodge] we will meet again!

Quick Reply: no power 1997 ram van 5.2 auto