Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

multiple codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM
b2500ramvan01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default multiple codes

hi guys
hows it going
I had starting issues with my van a while back and replaced 02 sensors
but i used bosh anyway it still messed up but then i replaced plugs and wires and she seemed great for a while
now in the last couple weeks it started kind of bogging /misfiring when i accelerate but if its in nutral or park it revs fine like its full of **** and vinager
ok so its getting progressively worse and now when it sputters it dies and is getting harder to fire back up
i hooked up the scanner and i get the following codes
p0031 1/1 heatr circit low
p0132 sensor 1 bank 1 shorted to voltage
p0300 multiple cylinder misfire
p0301 cyl 1 misfire
p0442 evaporative emmision leak monitor medium leak detected
p0305 cyl 5 misfire
p0307 cyl 7 misfire
these codes are uner the read codes screen on scanner
but when i read the veiw freee data (from the drive cycle monitor ) i get another code p0420 (mod10) the top reported fix on code connect is replace cat and frequent reported fix is replaced fuel rail pressure regulator

holy crap that is a mouthful

i have suspected the plenum gasket failure for a while now since i saw the post on it in February
well i hiope there is hope for this van as i cant afford another vehicle right now
any help will be appreciated
thanks guys

ps after reading other threads on yhe 0420 code i checked for leaks before the cat and there is 2 small holes in the weld on the bunyun we installed in feb my friend welded it and i never noticed the holes but now ter is black area around the holes from the exhaust leaking so i hope this is the reson for the p0420 code

Last edited by b2500ramvan01; 08-06-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: new info
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM
b2500ramvan01

does any one have any ideas as to what may be wrong

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually do not respond to the OBD2 vehicle threads cause others are way more familiar with these years,

But,

I think your O2 sensors wiring/ connectors are all effed up.

As you know, Bosch is not ideal for a dodge either. NTK or Denso

Clean your main grounds to eliminate them, and inspect the connectors at the computer.

Make sure the SP wires are not touching each other, or anything grounded, and don't assume that new looking wires are behaving like wires should. They break down quick under the doghouse and bleed spark to ground rather than through the spark plug.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

Originally Posted by landyacht318
I usually do not respond to the OBD2 vehicle threads cause others are way more familiar with these years,

But,

I think your O2 sensors wiring/ connectors are all effed up.

As you know, Bosch is not ideal for a dodge either. NTK or Denso

Clean your main grounds to eliminate them, and inspect the connectors at the computer.

Make sure the SP wires are not touching each other, or anything grounded, and don't assume that new looking wires are behaving like wires should. They break down quick under the doghouse and bleed spark to ground rather than through the spark plug.
Just curious, why do you say Bosch is not ideal for a dodge? I would really like to understand for the future. So far I have been using Bosch parts for some repairs and I have not experienced problems. I do know that on my wire set it said the Bosch Premium wires were made in the USA. I checked the Bosch brand against BWD (borg warner) and Wells which are both made in Mexico. I have no idea if all Bosch parts are made in the USA or not. I am also sure its possible they are made somewhere else and just packaged in the USA. If I can personally can help support a person's job in the USA, I will do so and pay a little more to do that, but I will only do that if the parts and quality are up to standard and work as well as others I can buy.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 08-07-2012, 04:11 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bosch parts are generally fine but Bosch O2 sensors don't work very well on Ford and Dodge engines. The OEM O2 sensor is Denso. If you replace it with Denso the engine will run as it did originally.

Given your misfire codes I would take an hour and carefully reroute the plug wires. Buy extra spark plug wire guides if you have to but do not allow any part of any wire to touch the block, valve covers, or any other wire. Where wires must lay across one another use plastic wire loom to keep them separated. If it still misfires I would replace the distributor cap. Use the best quality cap/rotor you can find with brass contacts as cheap distributor caps do not work properly on this engine.

You can inspect the intake manifold for plenum leakage by opening the throttle and looking down into it with a bright flashlight. If you see any sign of oil at the bottom it means that your plenum gasket is leaking.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
b2500ramvan01

Originally Posted by blackvan
Bosch parts are generally fine but Bosch O2 sensors don't work very well on Ford and Dodge engines. The OEM O2 sensor is Denso. If you replace it with Denso the engine will run as it did originally.

Given your misfire codes I would take an hour and carefully reroute the plug wires. Buy extra spark plug wire guides if you have to but do not allow any part of any wire to touch the block, valve covers, or any other wire. Where wires must lay across one another use plastic wire loom to keep them separated. If it still misfires I would replace the distributor cap. Use the best quality cap/rotor you can find with brass contacts as cheap distributor caps do not work properly on this engine.

You can inspect the intake manifold for plenum leakage by opening the throttle and looking down into it with a bright flashlight. If you see any sign of oil at the bottom it means that your plenum gasket is leaking.
ok thx the other day i noticed the coil wire (at coil; end was against the block ( i do have the plastic stuff protecting the wires )but tyhe plastic protection tube was melted and the coil wire see,ms to have a flat spot not exposed but could that be grounding out also the 02 sensor is only 5 months old and its carboned up a bit already ? plenom issue i think i am going to check it out sunday as i have work tommorow but i will reply here sun afternoon thank you guys for your help i appreciate it
have a great day

Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 AM
gazza101
Rookie

I think you have answered your own question, however try some premium gas see if that helps. There seems to be something about that side of the engine that is not engineered right, which many will attest to.

Need to figure out whether it is from a signal being sent or received that is causing the problem

Quick Reply: multiple codes