Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Dodge Ram 2500 leaking coolant from blockl, help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 08:44 PM
spartanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram 2500 leaking coolant from blockl, help!

There is a few circular metal seals on the side of the block, close to the oil pan, but one of them is leaking coolant. It looks like this seal can be pried out and replaced with a new one but I'm unsure if it should be done or how I should do it. My last resort is pasting it over with some kinda of ceramic bond that you can buy from the local automotive store. Anybody have any ideas what I can do? I checked my Chiltons manual but it says nothing on there on how to replace this.

Old 08-28-2005, 11:11 PM
spartanic
Default RE: Dodge Ram 2500 leaking coolant from blockl, help!

Pic has been added. Hope this makes things more understandable.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:43 AM
brandoncrone
Veteran

What you have leaking is called a frost plug. Basically a last resort if your engine got cold enough and the coolant froze, those would pop out to prevent the block from cracking. Yes they can be replaced. There is a tool for the job that makes it easy, but you can use a socket that is close to the same size as the plug. Basically tap in one side until it pops sideways, then grab it with some vise grips and pull it out. There is a chance that it will fall into the block, that is ok, it still can be retrieved, just a bit more tricky. Then just clean the bore and tap in a new one. Some sealer around the outside before you put it back in helps to be sure there aren't any leaks. Also when you pop that plug out there will be a huge amount of coolant coming out....

Old 09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
dodgeman09

Did you ever get your freeze plug changed out?

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 2500 leaking coolant from blockl, help!