Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

"Clunk" when shifting - 88 B250

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
uncaff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Clunk" when shifting - 88 B250

I have a fairly loud "clunk" when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse (automatic trans).
I've been told by various mechanics that this is:

1) Common in vans of this vintage because of a loose backlash setting in the
rear end.
2) Caused by improper setting of idle speed (too high).

I've had the trannie rebuilt at considerable expense but still have the shifting noise.
I'm going to set the idle speed by the book this weekend, but had to search out a hand-
held tach first. They just don't make those anymore.

By he way, I've checked the u-joints and there is no play at all.

Has anyone else on the forum had this problem? If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Last edited by uncaff; 10-14-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
oldiebutgoodie
Rookie

Well if its not the u-joints or tranny. You might want to look at your transmission mount...just push up and down on the rear of the tranny, should move very little with a good mount... I'm not 100% sure on that van but, it might have a split-shaft design..If so check the carrier bearing in the center of drive shafts...easy & cheep fixes if so.......Also, is that correct? you joined up in 2007, with only one post???? Well, welcome back anyway....LOL

Last edited by oldiebutgoodie; 10-14-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An '88 has the idle adjusted by the engine computer. Vacuum leaks can influence idle speeds.

My 9.25 rear axle makes a clunk shifting into third if I let off the throttle in 2nd.

It was rebuilt by a driveline shop and doesn't not have many miles. I Think it is common. google '9.25 clunk'

Check your u joints again, in neutral, with parking brake on tight.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 AM
uncaff
Default "Clunk" when shifting

Originally Posted by oldiebutgoodie
Well if its not the u-joints or tranny. You might want to look at your transmission mount...just push up and down on the rear of the tranny, should move very little with a good mount... I'm not 100% sure on that van but, it might have a split-shaft design..If so check the carrier bearing in the center of drive shafts...easy & cheep fixes if so.......Also, is that correct? you joined up in 2007, with only one post???? Well, welcome back anyway....LOL
Hadn't thought of the tranny mounts - will check.
Yep, joined in 2007 when I had a 1983 B150 - all manual with a slant 6 and the 4speed
OD manual tranny. Great van. Went into hospital for quite a while and had to sell the '83,
regrettably.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:26 AM
uncaff

Originally Posted by landyacht318
An '88 has the idle adjusted by the engine computer. Vacuum leaks can influence idle speeds.

My 9.25 rear axle makes a clunk shifting into third if I let off the throttle in 2nd.

It was rebuilt by a driveline shop and doesn't not have many miles. I Think it is common. google '9.25 clunk'

Check your u joints again, in neutral, with parking brake on tight.
I realize the idle is computer controlled, but the factory shop manual has a procedure
for adjusting it manually after first disconnecting a couple of sensors.

Apparently this "9.25 clunk" is a well known problem with several Dodge models. I went
through 2 pages of Google links and the consensus seems to be to live with it unless it
gets really bad at which point a differential rebuild is called for.

Thanks for all replies.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
iodj44
Veteran

If my rear end didn't clunk when I shift to reverse or drive I would be worried.
Think every rear drive Dodge I've ever owned clunked going into gear.

Last edited by iodj44; 10-16-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would chock the wheels, shift into neutral, then get underneath and rock the driveshaft back and forth. If there seems to be a lot of movement of the differential pinion then the backlash is excessive. But if the pinion is tight I would be more suspect of the u-joints. They don't have to be worn a lot to make a large clunk noise.

Quick Reply: "Clunk" when shifting - 88 B250