Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

New here and i already got problem codes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Onebigramvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New here and i already got problem codes!

Ok heres some of my problems. i got the van for a steal. 150 bucks, basically all the windows and stuff have been takin out and the dash i cant explain. 5.2L V8 318 tbi. the voltage regulator went out of the alternator, so the previous owner put a external painless voltage regulator on that works quite well. my plans are simple, hall stuff in it. its all black and ive gotten comments about it looking like the A teams van, the sub frame areas are rotted but i plan on welding in some new supports that clear the trans and engine and run acrossed to the other side. and do a ladder system. any ways i got some trouble codes here that id like to discuss about my van. the engine stalls and starts back up after a while. i dont know if its timing or bad injectors or fuel pump. heres my codes: 12-41-51-55-11. If any of you can help me with this situation, thank you

Last edited by Onebigramvan; 01-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

12 and 55 can be ignored.
41 is due to the alternator regulator conversion.
51 means the engine has been running too rich or too lean for over 2 minutes. This one will likely clear up on it's own when code 11 is fixed.

Code 11 means an intermittent loss of signal from either the crank or cam sensor. The cam sensor is actually the pick-up coil inside the distributor. So I'd either replace these two sensors, or start tracing the wiring going to them for bad connections.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Onebigramvan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you ill look into those and check out a new alternator. i did just put in the new fuel filter like you said it could be ajusting. the cam sensor i believe is right on. it acts funny it didnt do this a week ago

Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 79 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Onebigramvan
thank you ill look into those and check out a new alternator.
A new alternator won't get rid of the code. The alternator is normally regulated by the PCM. Apparently in your case, the internal PCM regulator circuit fried so someone opted to install an external regulator instead of replacing the PCM. You will continue to get the code unless the PCM is replaced and the alternator and it's circuits are restored to their original design.

Quick Reply: New here and i already got problem codes!