Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Broke down on long trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM
matt B2500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke down on long trip

Drove from FL to CT stopped for lunch yesterday and when I started it back up it stalled a few times and blew white smoke at start up, got it going and drove on. when i got into town of my destination I shut it off and it would not start back up. It doesn't turn over at all just hear the starter turning. my code reader says O2, EVAP, Multiple Cylinder Misfire, EGR, Htd Catalyst Temp Below Threshold and a few others i cant remember. Right now it's in the garage being diagnosed and im waiting for the mechanic to deliver the bad news on the cost. Im thinking the cat went but not sure. would a clogged cat cause all these codes?

Old 05-20-2013, 03:54 PM
funair02
All Star

with all the codes you have - plus white smoke
I would say blown head gasket or cracked head...

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And now that the starter spins but not the engine I would say either starter solenoid/bendix problem, timing chain, or broken crankshaft.

After coaxing the engine to run how did it do until it got to your distination?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
matt B2500
Default Update

@ Mobile Auto Repair It ran fine after coaxing the engine to start no problems on the highway until i shut it off.

Im guessing their is going to be multiple issues im dealing with here. Mechanic called said for starters bad fuel pump. once he gets the pump on tomorrow and gets it running he'll deal with the other issues. He's putting on the Delphi Fuel Pump from NAPA. im thinking ok a bad fuel pump could explain the multiple misfires and the misses can screw up the o2 sensors, EGR, and throw a Htd Catalyst Temp Below code for my cat so i gave him the go ahead to proceed, will find out more Wednesday. Im wondering if the multiple misses would also produce smoke on start up or if it's a non related separate issue. I still think the old cat went from all the misses but we'll see.

Last edited by matt B2500; 05-21-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: removed by me

Quick Reply: Broke down on long trip