Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Van Alarm wont stop-car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 03:06 PM
soxfantony773
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van Alarm wont stop-car wont start

hello i have a 1999 dodge ram van and my alarm wont stop going off when i hook up my freshly charged battery.The van has been sitting outside in Chicago for 3 or 4 years, and I have manual windows and locks. The alarm rings non-stop and when i turn the key it wont even try to turn over. I know nothing of fixing cars,so please be patient.... I was wondering if there is any way to completely disable the alarm as it never worked until now anyway....When it was running for years we had no idea there even was an alarm. It never went off once. I yanked the old battery thinking it just wont take a charge anymore-and put in my dads which was in his daily driver Durango, and the alarm still just goes off as soon as you connect the battery. Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone here?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by soxfantony773; 09-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on what happened to me: when the battery died in the keyfob (alarm remote) I first had to replace the keyfob battery and then arm, then disable the alarm system to in order reset the vehicles alarm system before my van would shut off the alarm and then allow my engine to start. If your factory keyfob (alarm remote) has died you might have to get a replacement one, if you have a backup keyfob (alarm remote) that works I'd try putting a tested good battery in that remote and then trying this process again.

Bear in mind that mine is the Dodge factory installed security interlock system so yours may work differently.

Last edited by blackvan; 09-28-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:05 AM
soxfantony773

Hey Blackvan, thanks a lot for the response. My father bought the van directly from a dodge dealership, but he says he was never given a keyfob for the alarm. And like i said we never even knew there was one. It most definitely was never armed before the 3 year sit. I recently dug out the old owners manual and it was in a Coachmen bag, which if im not mistaken means its possibly an aftermarket alarm. (the manual didnt say much about disarming the alarm with manual locks and windows either, only electric.) My father seems to remember the guy at the dealership saying something to him about the alarm button inside the car, like pressing it a certain number of times; but that was 14 years ago and he has no idea anymore. I really dont want to send this van to the junkyard, which is looking like more of an option every day.

Last edited by soxfantony773; 09-29-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: added more
Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 AM
blackvan
All Star

Hmm, Well since we are grasping at straws here and unsure of the actual system, there may be a small red pushbutton inside the fuse panel at the drivers end of the dashboard. Without any better information at hand, I'd probably try removing that fuse panel and pressing that red button. Its only a guess but at this point since the van won't even start, I'd probably give it a try in case its the reset button.

Failing that, I found this procedure which might be worth a try:

1. Make sure the drivers front(left front) door is closed and you have your car keys.
  2. Insert your door key into the drivers door and turn it to the locked position two times.
  3. Then turn the key to the unlock position twice.
  4. The alarm should be disarmed, now.
  5. SECOND TECHNIQUE:
  6. If not then take the ignition key and turn the ignition switch all the way ON then OFF then ON a second time and OFF again.
  7. These are the procedures for nearly all factory alarm systems.
  8. If neither of these works you probably have an after market(add-on) alarm system. Disarming a after market alarm system with your ignition key will be discussed in a future post.

Warnings

• This technique is only for use on your own car that you own and have keys for. If you don't have the keys- disconnect the negative battery cable to stop the horn until you get your keys. Then reconnect the negative terminal and proceed to step one.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:01 AM
soxfantony773

Cool, ill try that stuff tomorrow. Seriously, thanks for the ideas. You just gave me more than hours of searching on google.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 PM
soxfantony773

im about to tinker around with it and see what happens. I have been trying to find someone with a similar situation, and it seems like most folks get power locks & windows. And i have yet to find any stories of someone never even getting a keyfob....

Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
SteveR
Captain

On some cars I think you had to turn on the lights or blinker to get the thing to start. I suggest you follow the wiring under the hood until you find where the alarm box is. Once you see what model it is you can start searching for specific information.
Steve

Quick Reply: Van Alarm wont stop-car wont start