Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

van died no crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
jlaw1017
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default van died no crank

I never had an issue with my van starting an running, I was on my way home from work yesterday when the van just died. I didnt even relize it was dead untill I tryed to give it gas. No clunking no weard noises. Just quit running, I pulled over put it in park, turned the key an get nothing. No click. starter doesnt engage. no crank nothing. But all interior power seems to be in working order. Power windows go up an down. blinkers, radio. All works. Just no crank no click when you hit the key. Any suggestions?

1994 B350

Old 10-21-2013, 01:14 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start by checking voltage at the battery and connectors, and look for bad ground wires esp the one that runs directly from battery to the firewall. Double check the connectors to ECM/PCM as well but I recommend battery be disconnected during that because plugging or unplugging the computer while it is powered can destroy it.

If the voltage drops too low during starting (under 12.5 volts) the lights may work but the computer will not function, ASD relay may not activate, etc.

Assuming all these have checked out and you have good voltage readings everywhere you check, it may just be your ignition switch. They are known to fail on these vehicles.

Last edited by blackvan; 10-21-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an opinion, but check the neutral safety wire, the crank position sensor (highly likely), also, check the grounding wires, and starter (bendix spring broken???) for poor grounds.

Last edited by siggie30; 10-21-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
jlaw1017
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the fuseable links running along the fire wall under the hood. Replaced with blade fuses, Now running like normal! thank you all for the input. So I blew the fuse again. After 4 hours of tracing wires I found 1 wire had slightly melted against the valve cover. it only sparked out in the exact right spot. I taped it over an pulled the wires up off the motor.

Last edited by jlaw1017; 10-26-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: van died no crank