Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I'm Buying A Van!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Vanme
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it didn't work out. Fairly outside. But the seats were pretty bad, the rear bench was stuck, some damage all over the interior and even worse, rust, a lot of rust in the undercarriage. I'll keep looking. I don't know if they will let me remove the dog house but,,, all those advices you guys gave me are tremendously appreciated. That of the codes is really god. Thank you all. I'll keep learning. I want to take it easy not to end up scammed. I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:01 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default any old newly purchased van

I would just figure on spending a couple of hundred dollars on most any older van to do things after you purchase it that should have been done by an owner that probably were not done.

What I mean, even if the van body is in good shape, there are things that you should do to it so that you know it is in top notch shape.

plugs, wires, brass dist cap, and rotor
front brake hoses, pads, maybe rotors and calipers
new rear end oil, and probably a trans fluid/filter replacement

add all that up and it will add a few hundred bucks to your expense, but you will know mechanical things are in good shape then.

I would also drive it around extensively. Maybe stop and have a bite to eat, then start her up again and drive some more, to make sure that error codes were NOT erased for your benefit. Or buy or borrow a OBDII code reader and attach it to the plug, and read prior codes that may have been there and erased.

good luck

Last edited by rsdata; 11-04-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Tommy555
Professional

Originally Posted by Vanme
Well, it didn't work out. Fairly outside. But the seats were pretty bad, the rear bench was stuck, some damage all over the interior and even worse, rust, a lot of rust in the undercarriage. I'll keep looking.
Yeah, if the van was badly rusted out, it's best to move on. Although, having nice looking seats and interior is great, but if it were me looking for a van again, I wouldn't pass up a great running truck with some bad interior for some nice seats and a crappy running van. You might want to keep that in mind, depending on what you want to do with it.

Originally Posted by Vanme
I don't know if they will let me remove the dog house but,,, all those advices you guys gave me are tremendously appreciated.
If you're potentially buying a vehicle, you have the right to take a look at the engine and anything else that you want to look at. If they tell you that you can't take off the dog house, you should probably just walk away. Or course, looking at the top of the engine is not going to tell you everything you need to know about it. At the very least, you should be satisfied with some visual inspections before you drive it home. If you're not sure about what to look for, have a professional look at it first.

Last edited by Tommy555; 11-04-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Vanme
Amateur

Yes I'll keep looking, I'll find it and yes I'll make sure I do all the preventive stuff, again, thank you all. I'll be back.

Quick Reply: I'm Buying A Van!