Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

I added transmission fluid to the power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:21 PM
bearejr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I added transmission fluid to the power steering pump

Now the steering feels stiffer then before. Any ideas on what happened?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Tommy555
Professional

Originally Posted by bearejr
Any ideas on what happened?
Yeah, you put the wrong fluid in there.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:47 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand and spec was the tranny fluid? ATF+4 is the only stuff to use for a Ram Truck/Van. There are modifiers in the fluid too. So, it could make things stiffer. Also, the ATF+4 is synthetic, thus the molecules are a larger constant size vs. the DOT fluid rating range that should be used.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably get by by siphoning out whatever is in the reservoir right now with a hose and just refill with the correct power steering fluid. If you still have problems you're stuck removing hoses and having to try and flush it all out which will be likely a huge messy PITA.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 AM
sparkzz
Veteran

I found this info already posted in this forum.

TSB from Dodge:
ATF+4 is compatible with other Chrysler approved power steering fluids, but to avoid confusion due the fluid color difference, ATF+4 should not be mixed or used as a "topping off" fluid on systems requiring MS5931 or MS9933(these are dodge approved PS fluids). On some past models, ATF+4 should be used as the replacement fluid. On these models, if a steering system is being serviced that results in a large fluid loss, such as a pump, hose or gear/rack replacement, the complete system should be drained and filled with ATF+4 (MS9602).

You shouldn't Mix them but you can use one or the other with ATF+4 providing superior results as Dodge claims. it's a TSB because many topp-off people have had issue's with the fluids as they don't comine with one another and if you need to topp off, then you've got a problem somwehre, whether it's an external leak or an internal seal leak? It's a closed system and shouldn't ever need additional fluid.

Quick Reply: I added transmission fluid to the power steering pump