Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Throttle body injectors problem - Dodge B250 1989

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 PM
havlicekka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body injectors problem - Dodge B250 1989

Please help!

my Dodge RAM B250 1989 started to lose power, began idling inconsistantly and then stall. I checked the throttle body and realized that the left injector was not working, only the right one was spraying gas.
I am in bolivia with my car now, so I guess the reason could be bad gas quality, (84 octane) is that possible? Please, could somebody advise me how to clean the injector, and how to depressurize the fuel system? Or whatever else I could do? I dont really trust the local mechanics...

Thanks

Kamil

Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The injectors have little fine mesh screens that can be cleaned once removed
The injectors fail, cleaning might do no good. Is it still ticking rhythmically?

Also try switching them side to side and see if the problem stays with the wiring or the injectors. It is very simple to remove and replace the injectors, if you have a torx/Star Bit.

Don't know how parts acquisition in in Bolivia but rock Auto Ships internationally.

You can depressurize the system many ways. I just remove a line on the fuel filter, along the frame rail passenger side, under the side doors.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 AM
havlicekka

Thanks for answer! I added some injector cleaning fluid into gas tank, and now both injectors are working. Still there is something wrong, the engine runs irregularly and has less power when cold. This gets better when warm, but irregular idling persists. It seems to me, that ihe idle speed (or the quality of gas mixture) gets so low that the engine nearly dies, but some regulator does something to avoid this, so it wont die...and this repeats. When I put gas when warm, its is ok, when i put gas when cold, it runs irreularly even under gas. I ll try to clean the injectors, and also...i am at 4000 m above sea level, and the gas they sell here is not top quality. So this could worsen the problem also?

Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
havlicekka

Yes, the injectors are ticking rytmically....

Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
funair02
All Star

Originally Posted by havlicekka
the engine runs irregularly and has less power when cold. This gets better when warm, but irregular idling persists. It seems to me, that ihe idle speed (or the quality of gas mixture) gets so low that the engine nearly dies, but some regulator does something to avoid this, so it wont die...and this repeats. When I put gas when warm, its is ok, when i put gas when cold, it runs irreularly even under gas. ?

that usually means the PCM is on the way out.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:42 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by havlicekka
This gets better when warm, but irregular idling persists. It seems to me, that the idle speed (or the quality of gas mixture) gets so low that the engine nearly dies, but some regulator does something to avoid this, so it wont die...and this repeats. When I put gas when warm, its is ok, when i put gas when cold, it runs irregularly even under gas.
Do not need to clean the injectors. Injector cleaner worked.

The throttle linkage to the Throttle Body should have a "limiter set-screw" If you adjust the set-screw a little, the warm up idle will be better. Or maybe the kick-down for warm idle needs to be checked. Maybe clean the outside linkages and lubricate the linkages that connect to the Throttle Body on the van.

My van is the new generation, your van is a mix between carburetor and rail injectors called Throttle Body Injection.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

cleaning the injector might not have done it--replace it

Quick Reply: Throttle body injectors problem - Dodge B250 1989