Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ASD fuse blowing with key in run position

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:53 PM
DeathScythe808
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ASD fuse blowing with key in run position

First off, let me just say that though this is my first post, I am a 5 year ASE certified tech, and have been banging my head against the wall on this one for most of the week. Culprit is a 1996 Dodge Ram van 3500. Any time I turn the key to the on position, the A/C compressor clutch engages, and the ASD fuse (#8 on diagram) blows. Remove the A/C clutch fuse (#5) or A/C clutch relay, and symptoms go away. I Have unplugged both A/C pressure switches and blower motor switch, but clutch still engages. This leads me to think I have a two fold problem. A. somewhere the A/C clutch power wire and the ASD circuit have their insulation broken and are touching. B. Something is shorting the control side of the A/C circuit to power.

Has anyone out there ever seen anything like this? And pointers on where to look would be helpful.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 PM
funair02
All Star

don't know how much merit this has...but this was the first thing I found

http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/0ycm...trans-asd.html

Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

What happens if you unplug the connector from the compressor...does the fuse still blow?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alloro
What happens if you unplug the connector from the compressor...does the fuse still blow?
We think alike on this ...

I have mine unplugged right now.

Also fuses on the left side of the IP facing the driver door. Relays under the hood next or near the battery.

There is a TSB about something that is shiny in the fuse panel near the top. If the van does not have this accessory, weird things like this can happen. It's been since early summer trying to remember where I read this and removed that dumb thing.

Last edited by stev; 12-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:33 PM
DeathScythe808

Alloro- Any brake in the power cercuit for the A/C will keep the ASD fuse from blowing.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Then it could be the A/C compressor clutch coil that is shorted out.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM
DeathScythe808

That would explain why the A/c clutch engages on it's own most of the time, but it does not share a circuit with the ASD. I would think if the A/c was the root problem, it would blow it's 20amp fuse before it blew the 30amp asd. ASD has to be getting extra current from somewhere else to blow it's fuse right? I'll post the wiring diagrams later on if nothing else so they will be available to everyone on here.

Quick Reply: ASD fuse blowing with key in run position