Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Weird issue with blower motor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 PM
wetpunks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue with blower motor wiring

So I just bought a used 2002 3500 van. It's the 15-passenger with the extended bit. When I bought it I knew the heater switch wasn't turning on the fans, but I had read up on issues with the resistors and switches going bad so I wasn't too worried about it.

What I found when I got it home and messed with it was that there is an after market switch down by the pedals, and when I followed the wires they went to the blower motor. One wire is grounded and the other plugs into where the power seat fuse/relay would be on the fuse box. It was all unplugged and I put it back together and the blower motor does then turn on. I found the original wiring shoved up in the engine compartment and tried plugging that back into the blower motor wiring but I can't get the blower to run that way, even with a new switch I bought plugged in.

I don't have a volt meter but I used a test light to see if there was any current running through the original wiring but there wasn't any. I tried swapping out the HVAC Blower relay with one from a Dodge pickup, but that didn't fix anything either and the other blower fuses all look good. So I'm kind of stumped where exactly the problem is. It seems to be in the wires that run from the relay to the blower motor or maybe the relay is bad and the one I tried to swap in just wasn't meant to work there, but I'm not an expert in car repair so that's just my amateur guess.

Also I used the test light to make sure I was getting current to the switch and where the relay plugs in and those did light up.

I'd like it to be wired up to the original switch so if anyone has any ideas on where the problem could be please give me some feedback. Thanks so much!

Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have much of any answer other than the Ram Truck HVAC unit is not the same as the RAM Van.

The HVAC harness for the B3500 with front and rear units is the same on the B2500 HD from 2000 to 2003.

In our Ram Van years, the blower switch will also affect the ignition switch cause a no start condition. So, BE CAREFUL not to mess things up. Again, this is for vans from 1998 - 2003.

1998-2003 Dodge ram van blower switch repair guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Czqg4Z6ts

The info here is a good help to read and see the diagrams from start to finish ....
Removal & Installation - AutoZone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairguides/Ram-B1500-B2500-B3500-1999-2003/Heater-Core/Removal-Installation/_/P-0996b43f802e3104

Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 PM
wetpunks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I've seen that switch repair video before and I tried plugging in a new switch but that wouldn't send any signal to the blower motor. I'm thinking the relay went bad but I have no way to check, that I know of, until I get a new one. Those diagrams are nice but it would be better if maybe you posted the link to the Blower Motor ones. The Heater Core itself is working fine, it's just the wiring to turn the fan on is what is bogus.

Quick Reply: Weird issue with blower motor wiring