Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2003 3.9L, Converting to an electric fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 07:54 PM
denisnh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 2003 3.9L, Converting to an electric fan

Hi All. This is probably a pretty basic question to most of you (maybe even dumb), but I just want to be careful and not do something stupid.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Van with a 3.9L engine. I replaced the water pump and will be installing an electric fan in place of the original mechanical one. I fabricated a spanner wrench for the water pump pulley so I could remove that outrageous nut holding on the mechanical fan. So now the new water pump has the pulley with the threads coming out the front where the mechanical fan attaches.

What I'm wondering about is, if I install an electric fan it obviously won't be attached to that nut. I can't tell how the water pump pulley is attached to the water pump. (bolts, press fit, threaded, etc) Will I need to attach a nut to hold the water pump pulley in place or will the pulley be ok without a nut where the mechanical fan was?

I suspect the mechanical fan nut has nothing to do with securing the water pump pulley. Can I just leave the threads bare where the mechanical fan was without worrying about the water pump pulley coming lose?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
Denis

Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-09-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 02-19-2014, 09:00 PM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by blackvan; 07-09-2016 at 10:41 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 05-14-2023, 10:11 AM
rhennick
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Old water pump question, can anyone answer?

My van is a 1998 with a 360 Magnum. I will be doing an e-fan conversion, and like the OP below I would like to know if I need to install a nut to hold the pulley on the water pump after removing the viscous clutch. It is a Gates pump and the pulley appears to be pressed onto the pump hub, no bolts. I am figuring I can cut a slice off the clutch nut to make a retainer if I need to.

Originally Posted by denisnh
Hi All. This is probably a pretty basic question to most of you (maybe even dumb), but I just want to be careful and not do something stupid.

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Van with a 3.9L engine. I replaced the water pump and will be installing an electric fan in place of the original mechanical one. I fabricated a spanner wrench for the water pump pulley so I could remove that outrageous nut holding on the mechanical fan. So now the new water pump has the pulley with the threads coming out the front where the mechanical fan attaches.

What I'm wondering about is, if I install an electric fan it obviously won't be attached to that nut. I can't tell how the water pump pulley is attached to the water pump. (bolts, press fit, threaded, etc) Will I need to attach a nut to hold the water pump pulley in place or will the pulley be ok without a nut where the mechanical fan was?

I suspect the mechanical fan nut has nothing to do with securing the water pump pulley. Can I just leave the threads bare where the mechanical fan was without worrying about the water pump pulley coming lose?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
Denis

Old 05-14-2023, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

I think the pulley is just pressed on, but, if you have the capability to hack a hunk of the nut off, to use as a retainer...... It would be cheap insurance. Seems like a great idea to me.

Old 05-14-2023, 02:41 PM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 94 ram with the 5.2 and removed the fan temporarily just to see if there was any discernible difference. If memory serves the pully was just held on with some bolts. Not sure if they might have changed things over those years. I think the fan clutch is held on by the nut and the pulley by 4 bolts or was on that year.

Quick Reply: 2003 3.9L, Converting to an electric fan