Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Alignment question and tire observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:03 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment question and tire observation

HI all.

On my 02/3.9 109" van, I had 235/75/15XLs on it and they were nice. What was interesting that after wearing about 1/3 the way they wore fast. I did keep them inflated and rotated. I got exactly 30k miles out of that set. (edit: I do still have 5/32s or so on them so I probably would have gotten 35-40k)

So I decided to get new tires. I want 16s someday, but not today So I am trying a Load C LT235 tire all-terrain. I can tell it is a stiffer tire...well it is new. Also it doesn't seem like there is a lot of difference between XL and load C. But, I like having 15/32nds now. It rides great. I have Milestar Patagonias as rubber now.

So, what I am wondering, is I was reading the alignment section of the shop manual and it states there is a special tool for the job. It is a bracket that goes on the inside of the frame rail and pushes on the upper control arm as you adjust the bolts. Do most shops have this tool???

Last edited by funair02; 07-12-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:38 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

its probably a dealer only tool.

I have not aligned one of these vans but from the service information I have:

the upper control arms have slots to allow movement. All modern alignment machines will allow adjustment in a jacked-up position. This would allow the tech to move the upper control arm will no weight on the front suspension...so you could loosen the bolts, move the c/a to where its needed, lower and perform caster re-sweep to verify the proper placement.

So IMO, the tool is probably handy but not needed to make the adjustments.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:59 PM
SteveR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would phone in or drive by to check into it before booking an appointment. I went to a place here and they did not but at least they were honest. My front drivers wheel leans in a lot but they said they could only adjust the toe where I'm at... I calculated that my van is probably 350-400 lbs heavier on the drivers side due to the propane tank, 3 batteries, exhaust, and kitchen all being on the one side.
Steve

Quick Reply: Alignment question and tire observation