Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Lukas transmission fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lukas transmission fix

I have a 2001 46RE tranny in my 3500 Van with 129,000 miles and a leak coming from the converter housing. I've read several threads where this happens after replacing the filter and fluid. I talked to a rep for a tranny re-manufactured unit and he said it could be the new fluid cleaned out the gunk that accumulated in the tranny especially if it wasn't changed in a long time. He said he'd have the cooler back flushed, flush the converter, put in a new filter and add the Lukas before spending $2000 + on a remanufactured unit. Anyone try the product and what kind of results did you have? Thanks for any comments.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:50 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by j404ski
I have a 2001 46RE tranny in my 3500 Van with 129,000 miles and a leak coming from the converter housing. I've read several threads where this happens after replacing the filter and fluid. I talked to a rep for a tranny re-manufactured unit and he said it could be the new fluid cleaned out the gunk that accumulated in the tranny especially if it wasn't changed in a long time. He said he'd have the cooler back flushed, flush the converter, put in a new filter and add the Lukas before spending $2000 + on a remanufactured unit. Anyone try the product and what kind of results did you have? Thanks for any comments.
Not being facetious at all here but I don't understand how flushing the TC and cooler then replacing with all new atf+4 and lucas trans. fix will stop the leak... Seems like wasted time and money to me after what you've already done. If the transmission is working well then just fix the source of the leak at the seal if that is what it is.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 AM
j404ski
Rookie

I thought the same until I talked to a sales rep for remanufactured trannys who said he was in charge of a fleet operation of trucks who used the Lukas product in his vehicles with great success. So instead of trying to sell me a replacement unit which I was looking for, suggested I try this first. I figure I have nothing to loose since I plan on replacing it anyway.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I thought the same until I talked to a sales rep for remanufactured trannys who said he was in charge of a fleet operation of trucks who used the Lukas product in his vehicles with great success. So instead of trying to sell me a replacement unit which I was looking for, suggested I try this first. I figure I have nothing to loose since I plan on replacing it anyway.
To be honest I think your first gut instinct in the other thread was your best bet. $175. for the seal replacement then if you want, have the system flushed for your peace of mind that all the fluid is new. Your best answers are from the more seasoned guys in the first thread, probably wise to use their advice in this case.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 PM
j404ski
Rookie

I put in a bottle of Lukas and let the motor run for 30minutes, shut it down for another 30 minutes and took it shopping. After several stops I checked it and it stopped leaking. Tomarrow I'll take it on a longer run and will report back.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
JFloors
Veteran

I put in a bottle of Lukas and let the motor run for 30minutes, shut it down for another 30 minutes and took it shopping. After several stops I checked it and it stopped leaking. Tomarrow I'll take it on a longer run and will report back.
It'll be interesting to read what you find out, to be completely honest I would'a tried the same just to see how it works n buy alittle time.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:25 PM
j404ski
Rookie

Took it up the mountain top today & interstate, lots of downshifting, a lot quieter than before, still no leaks.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM
j404ski
Rookie

Well too good to be true. Small dribble returning. Still shifting fine. Time to start a new thread looking for a rebuilt unit.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:38 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but additives do not replace failed parts. $10.75, on a part this critical I'd install the best available.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=j96av5ml9t4uk6f0ej1ju3f852

Old 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM
j404ski
Rookie

Thanks for the link. Sounds real good, have you used one of these or one from Auto Zone, Aamco or Jasper?

Quick Reply: Lukas transmission fix