Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Re-built tranny or replace leaking seals.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines not an RV but it got worked real hard, especially the first 4 or so years... till 2004 when it had 220k on it and pack full of flooring 6-7 days a week in the bay area and didn't get the love it deserved regarding service and oil/filter changes or my hard driving. Transmission gave out in 2006 at 240k after I'd moved here where the pace is quite a bit slower.
On yours, if you're confident that it wasn't driven too far beyond needing repair and if a good transmission guy took a good look at it and was confident that it looked in good shape and that you'd get plenty more miles on the existing one... to do just the seal replacement but put the money aside just in case.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:10 AM
blackvan
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^what he said^^^

Engines are predictable, meaning that x engine design has x hours it'll probably run. Automatic transmissions are entirely different. Even a weak design can last 200k miles if its well maintained and you baby it. Although you will read numerous posts that claim the 46RE is weak and has to replaced by 140k miles, there are an equal number of trucks out there with 220k + miles on them still running and shifting fine. The key factors are:

1. Change the fluid and filter at recommended intervals. This isn't a Ford and you shouldn't ignore it even if its shifting perfectly. The fluid in these transmissions gets gummy if you don't and this will cause problems.
2. Heat. Heat destroys hydraulic fluid so if you live in a hot climate, change all fluid every year or so. Not just the four quarts that comes out when you drop the pan, all of it
3. Abuse. If you tow more than 2000 lbs or haul heavy loads on a daily basis, change all the fluid twice as often as recommended, maybe more dependent on your scenario

Changing the fluid frequently - even replacing bad solenoids, transducers, etc - is all far cheaper and far less hassle than being forced to buy/swap a transmission at the worst possible moment, which is of course when it will fail.

Last edited by blackvan; 09-04-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem I have is a bad leak in the front of the transmission. I ordered a Jasper for this Tuesday. Any knowledge of their transmissions. I heard bad things about their engines and I don't care about them. I'm only replacing the tranny.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:00 AM
blackvan
All Star

Last edited by blackvan; 07-31-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: removed by me
Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 AM
j404ski
Rookie

I just got word that my installer can't get my van(Roadtrek) in the air so he is not going to install it! It needs a drive on lift which he doesn't have. Going to return the tranny.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:29 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by j404ski
It needs a drive on lift which he doesn't have.
That doesn't make any sense...he needs a 'drive on lift' to do tranny work? What happens with a completly cooked tranny, how does it 'drive on'? I've changed transmissions on the ground with a jack and 4 jack stands. To me it sounds like he just doesn't want to do the work.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:40 AM
SteveR
Captain

Alloro: Mechanics can be pretty spoiled nowadays. The runningboards on the van prevent the use of a 2-post hoist and these guys don't use creepers anymore.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the services section of your local Craigslist for someone offering mechanical services. You won't get all the bells and whistles of a garage but it could save you lots of cash.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:20 PM
j404ski
Rookie

Yeah I've been checking and asking. I think I might dig a pit and take her out myself. It's too tall to get in the garage where I do have a pit and did the C4 on my cougar 25 years ago and it's still runnin! I got the manual and the 4speed with o.d. is kinda intimidating. I might forget where some of the parts go...but I would sure like to dig into it and put in some of the updates.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got word that my installer can't get my van(Roadtrek) in the air so he is not going to install it!
you need a new mechanic

my van does not have running boards, but my mech installed my Jasper on a two post lift...

your mechanic couldn't dig up some 6x6 blocks to shim up his arms? maybe adding blocks and your higher roof line gave him a problem with a two post lift???

Quick Reply: Re-built tranny or replace leaking seals.