Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tranny linkage and connectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 01:14 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny linkage and connectors

How do I remove the gearshift cable and trottle valve cables at the transmission? also the electrical plugs to the neutral safety switch etc. I slide the red lock tab forward but can't pry the connector off the switch. Don't want to force it so I don't break anything. I'm on my back under the tranny and its hard to see how these connectors come apart and there's nothing in the factory manual that I can find to show me how. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may have already figured it out but looks to me (in my haynes manual and also looking at my van) that the shift and throttle cable's ends just snap on n pop off their levers, use something like a flat blade screw driver between the cable head and mount and gently pry it up, kinda like pulling a trailer hitch off the ball.
Unless something has changed from 1999 to your 2001
I don't think my electrical connects are exact same, mine has squeeze tabs on each side, thumb and finger squeeze the tabs and gently jiggle n pull should do it. I'm getting weaker in my older age so get creative if you have to... use a thumb of one hand and press the other with the end of the screw driver and grip the plug's casing to jiggle pull.

Last edited by JFloors; 09-17-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added one thought
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 PM
j404ski
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I did get the electrical connectors apart. But didn't try the linkage yet, got sidetracked.

Quick Reply: Tranny linkage and connectors