Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Sick of doing ball joints...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a crazy and long story about my Bjs

In short - I did all 4 when I got the van at 100k.

Then the right lower went 20k miles later. (Dorman Chinese - replaced with NAPA)
Then the right upper went soon after that. (Dorman - replaced with Autozone Duralast and it seems to be great)
Then the right lower went again about 20k miles later - well it started spinning in its socket -- (NAPA replaced with Moog)
Then the left upper started to make noise...so I thought...it ended up being the lower that was SPINNING in its SOCKET -- eek. (both done last week replaced with Duralast upper and Moog lower)

Somewhere in there was two alignment and a tire change...

Every time I saw the print out it was aligned to spec and I get alignments for $30, so why not

Moral of the story -- use Moogs only. I have tried Napa's and Chinese special of the day with no success.

Also I don't have any more pics of the tires...that was from when I sold them on craigslist

But on my F150 and this van, when I had bad ball joints I had the wear I pointed out in the pic...soon after that they started to scallop...so yes bad BJs do what I was saying

Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

think about it...imaging tire rolling down a road, now turn both tires toe out...they will scrub instead of rolling straight...and guess what that wear looks like

saw tooth wear on the inside edge ie leading edge (not across the entire face) is only caused from incorrect toe setting.

after 5 years every spring sags, changing ride height, changing toe....pre-alignment settings show this....did you look at those?

I kinda have to know this...I am a gm master tech and have been doing alignments for over 11 years. After that amount of time; I can look at tires, feel how a car is driving and know what the alignment numbers are going to be before its on the rack.

Last edited by primem; 01-03-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:51 PM
funair02
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
think about it...imaging tire rolling down a road, now turn both tires toe out...they will scrub instead of rolling straight...and guess what that wear looks like

saw tooth wear on the inside edge ie leading edge (not across the entire face) is only caused from incorrect toe setting.

after 5 years every spring sags, changing ride height, changing toe....pre-alignment settings show this....did you look at those?

I kinda have to know this...I am a gm master tech and have been doing alignments for over 11 years. After that amount of time; I can look at tires, feel how a car is driving and know what the alignment numbers are going to be before its on the rack.

That is what I was thinking - Springs.

I think we are on the right page. Thanks bro. Also Master Tech is quite an achievement. - cheers.

Quick Reply: Sick of doing ball joints...