Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Trans Temp, No Bus, Runs Fine, Gauges Work

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 PM
ramvanz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I wanted to update everyone that helped out and might run into a stupid issue like this in the future... It was the PCM. Specifically, the PCM that was in the van when I bought it must have been replaced previously with the incorrect one, when I suspected it initially I replaced it with the same part number which is actually for a 1999 5.2L. The trans temp sensor has a different resistance curve that changed between 99 and 00. I measured my line temps with a infrared thermometer and I knew it wasn't overheating. Also the cluster between 99 and '00 are not interchangeable, there is some minor difference i don't know what but I still got the no bus message even though gauges worked and ran fine. I had replaced the cluster with the proper one but since they were correct and the pcm was not they both had the same error. I realized this after I wired the cluster directly to the pcm harness and wired power and ground to both the cluster and pcm directly to the battery. It did the same thing and I knew I had eliminated a wiring issue.

I suspected the incorrect pcm after reading about a 00 dakota that replaced the pcm from a year earlier and had the no bus message. After calling the dealer, getting the proper part number for my vin, I bought a used one on Ebay and plugged it in, works GREAT!!! Thanks again to everyone for helping me though this.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:51 AM
funair02
All Star

Sweeet!

Old 04-09-2016, 12:28 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Good to hear.

Old 11-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Robert1964

Originally Posted by ramvanz
Stev: Ground Strap looks good, don't see any fusable links.

You both mentioned the cluster, but regardless of the combination of the two clusters and the two pcms I have, I get the same no bus indicator in the odometer (and the same trans temp and o/d off lights after it warms up a little bit) and everything else works fine. Unless you know something I don't know about clusters, I'm inclined to think it's something else I haven't replaced or tested.
I also doubt it’s the cluster, I am having the same issues however I lose my gauges go dead. I have replaced both pcm and cluster. I when I run pcm diagnostics for the transmission on my scanner the trans temp and overdrive lights come on and the gauges come back to life.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert1964
I also doubt it’s the cluster, I am having the same issues however I lose my gauges go dead. I have replaced both pcm and cluster. I when I run pcm diagnostics for the transmission on my scanner the trans temp and overdrive lights come on and the gauges come back to life.
You have a bad sensor somewhere. Trouble is, it could be ANY of them on the 5 volt bus.....

Quick Reply: Trans Temp, No Bus, Runs Fine, Gauges Work