Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

97 Dodge B2500 3.9L Mach III SE rear shock issue.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:00 PM
00S4Boy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GVWR is 6400lbs, 8.25" rear end with 3.55 gears.

I wasn't really concerned about what the specs for it being a HD suspension, i meant what the difference in design was and why some parts list non-compatible with HD and if this is in fact a "HD suspension" or if the vin decoder is sending me on a wild goose chase.

If i get new shock mounts welded to the axle tube and replace the upper mounting bolt, even if I was to bolt on the load leveling spring assisted shocks it would actually decrease load from the rest of the suspension, much in the same way an airbag kit would. The only variable there would be the quality/integrity of the weld on the shock mounting bracket.

But anyway at this point like I said I am probably just gonna grab the gas-a-just kybs.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:02 PM
iodj44
Veteran

In your situation replacing the mount and shocks really is the direction to go. You have asked for our opinions and we gave them but for your mother to drive around town air bags and or assist shocks are simply unnecessary.

I agree with your plan replace the mount and current shocks with standard replacement units and your mother will be pleased.

Also wanted to say 3.55s are great gears not to tall and not to short perfect for a 3 speed tranny.

Last edited by iodj44; 03-09-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 PM
00S4Boy

Just to clarify when they got the van in 99 they converted it to make it drive able for her, but she hasn't driven it probably close to 10 years now. She will typically be in it once every 3 months if that being brought to a doctors appointment, aside from that it goes 2 miles to and from the grocery store once a week and that's about it. That's why it is a 97 with 43k miles on it.

It is a new england car so the whole thing is a giant rustball. Rear springs don't seem to be sagging, the shackles and perches are rust ***** but still intact. Got more to worry about with the fact the cat internals are breaking apart and making noise and 1 of the Y pipe to manifold bolts is rusted off, but the system is still sealed. As well as the factory tranny lines i've had for almost 4 years now, just waiting for them to blow because I'll probably end up needing to replace the radiator as well.

Anyway I ended up ordering these with lower bolt's.
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/SBRKT-3.html

To have a welder put on, their placement might be slightly different but nothing is going to be 100% in this sitution, and their supposedly already prefabbed to fit a 3" diameter rear axle which i believe this has with the chrysler 8.25" rear end.

Grabbed a pair of the KYB Gas-A-Just KG5418 rear shocks and Monroe parts kit P00185(which was listed under the load leveling shocks) for the upper bolts/nuts/spacers, hopefully the upper washers are still intact, worst case i'm sure there is some Dorman "help" part for those if needed.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge B2500 3.9L Mach III SE rear shock issue.