Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ram van please help spark!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 05:39 PM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram van please help spark!

My first time on the Forum so be patient with me please thank you in advance. My van stalled on me for about 10 days. It happened one day I was low on gas. I thought I ran out but it started back up 5 mminutes later. It happened periodically after that but some days it would not happen?for about a week to 10 days It stalled once or twice per day then one day I stalled on the way home from work and it would not start back up. Anyways, after a lot of diagnosing problem shooting blahblah I changed the ignition coil for starters then I proceeded to put new wires and plugs assuming the wire to the coil was malfunction from the distributor. that did not fix the problem so I changed the distributor cap and the rotor. There was a lot of corrosion but that did not fix the problem either. last night I change the crankshaft sensor so now I'm at the point where I'm kind of stumped I'm trying to properly check the fuses but I don't have a multimeter but I could purchase one fast . I'm getting zero spark the whole time. My fuel pump activates and I smell fuel in the engine. Please give me advice. Again , I changed the ignition coil 1., wires and plugs are new2., distributor cap and rotor 3, and last night I changed the crankshaft position sensor. Lastly , before I did any work I did the key check and got the ignition code? it was po351. After coil change code went away.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:09 PM
iodj44
Veteran

Need info on your van like the year, model, mileage etc....

Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 PM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr

OK its 2001ram van 1500 has 110,000. 8 cylinder this problem is mind-boggling and I'm not sure about all the relays and fuses or maybe some type of oxygen sensor that might control Spark if that's possible

Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 AM
funair02
All Star

I got that code when the PCMs voltage regulator failed.

I had to get a new PCM.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:18 AM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr

Yeah I've been hearing that about computer but I'm just wondering based on the info if I'm missing a relay or sensor in the circuit because I did have power in the wire harness to the coil? Not sure if that matters?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:27 AM
iodj44
Veteran

Others on this forum have had similar no start conditions in posts they believe related to PCM problems. I myself have never had a PCM problem or a no spark condition but would have replaced the coil and crank sensor and tested the distributer as you did. Your thought on faulty sensor(s) causing a no start(no spark) condition, maybe but seems sensors would trip codes and possibly make the engine run like crap but no spark?

Someone else is likely to chime in shortly with more advice, while you wait search the post on PCM problems, no start or no spark conditions.

One other issue be sure to read the link that follows re routing ignition wires while you have the dog house off.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Last edited by iodj44; 03-24-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:21 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by therealjohnnyjohnsonjr
My van stalled on me for about 10 days. It happened one day I was low on gas. I thought I ran out but it started back up 5 minutes later.
Every time it stalled was it below 1/2 a tank of fuel?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 AM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr

Yes alloro. It was real low on gas when it stalled . iodj44 thankyou

Old 03-25-2016, 11:24 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 83 Posts

Then your fuel pump could be failing. Pumps that are failing will first show symptoms only when the tank is less than 1/2 full. The reason for this is the fuel acts like a heat sink, allowing the pump motor to run cooler. The pump is only submerged in the fuel when the tank is over 1/2 full.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:31 PM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr

Then why would I have no spark?

Quick Reply: ram van please help spark!