Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

ram van please help spark!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last summer had similar stalling and it was pretty hot here when my crank sensor decided to act up. I would be driving along fine then suddenly the engine would begin to cut out then just die and I'd coast it to the side of the road n wait a few minutes. It would crank but not start or act as if it wanted to right away, then when it did I could get a few miles before the same scenario began again. It did this for a few days and some days not at all.
The sensor was only about a year old and the BWD brand, Alloro and a couple others suggested to replace it. I went with the duralast and their warranty since autozone is close and so far has run fine. But if you search especially the 2nd gen truck forums many will recommend getting the dealer sensor as it is most compatible with our engines.
Now, the reason I had changed to the BWD sensor was that the engine would simply quit running while rolling up to a stop with the previous sensor (unsure of the brand) unless I put it into neutral and had a foot on the brake and one on the gas, but if it died it would always restart right away. I got by with this for months until I finally checked into these forums for a solution. So I figure they can have some differences in failure when they are going.
You might try returning that sensor and exchanging it or get one from the dealer, Delphi is the preferred brand of sensor I think.
Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery before changing out sensors too, just saying incase that you didn't, so the pcm can relearn that new one.

Also you didn't mention replacing the pick up coil located directly under the rotor inside your distributor with the 2 wires running out to a plug. Don't think affects the no spark problem but may be due with the miles you have.
good luck

Last edited by JFloors; 03-25-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: added comments
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM
JFloors
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops sorry, double post... guess I'm trying to bump up my posts lol

Last edited by JFloors; 03-25-2016 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:25 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by therealjohnnyjohnsonjr
Then why would I have no spark?
Multiple contributing issues come to mind.

Old 03-26-2016, 02:51 PM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jfloors that is very helpful. I'm going to look into that next.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:27 PM
therealjohnnyjohnsonjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camshaft sensor can stop the production of spark on my van? I just read that? Is it true?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Yes! Pcm needs inputs from both cam and crank before it will fire the coil or injectors. Just to add what JFloors said, Don't buy BWD. I had a very similar issue with my crank sensor. Heat affected it also, It would get up to op temp and then it would start to cut out. Get Delphi or from the dealer. They may be one in the same because Delphi is one of the manufactures the car makers use.

Quick Reply: ram van please help spark!