Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1996 RAM B2500 5.9 ran fine, then sat. No start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:59 PM
xcritterbugx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 RAM B2500 5.9 ran fine, then sat. No start.

I'm mechanically inclined to some degrees, I know a good bit but ofc not all. I'm new to dodge and just recieved a free van B2500. He said it ran great, just parked it 1-2 years ago cause gas mileage. Had no problems.

It turns over, I've poured gas in intake and got nothing. Figuring it's no spark. Is there parts that go bad just from sitting? I'm from Pensacola Florida so humid air BTW.

I'm not too good with multi meter, usually use test light. Lazy way lol. But should I just start replacing parts? Could alternator go bad just from sitting or PCM? I un plugged shut off relay and put in horn relay spot, seems fine. Not sure if coil is sparking. No light when test light hooked up, but only did to end of hei wire and top dist.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 PM
funair02
All Star

Did you drain the old gas and put fresh in?

Old 04-02-2016, 09:03 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by xcritterbugx
I'm mechanically inclined to some degrees

Not sure if coil is sparking.
Hmm, why are you not sure? I would think being mechanically inclined to some degree that you would've done some basic testing and troubleshoot to give us something to go on before posting.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:35 AM
xcritterbugx

Originally Posted by alloro
Hmm, why are you not sure? I would think being mechanically inclined to some degree that you would've done some basic testing and troubleshoot to give us something to go on before posting.

I tested it and no spark, seemed it wasn't getting power at connector. Put fresh gas in.
It's there a security system to cause a no start? I'm guessing maybe the sensor on trans Bell housing possible?
But what could go bad from sitting? Alternator, sensors, PCM?

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by xcritterbugx
I tested it and no spark, seemed it wasn't getting power at connector.
Do you mean the coil connector? If you do then you need to trace the wiring back until you do have power in order to find the problem. Just sitting there little critters can get in and chew on wires...seen it happen.

Quick Reply: 1996 RAM B2500 5.9 ran fine, then sat. No start.