Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'01 What is this relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This relay cover next to the battery is for a 2001 B2500/B3500 Ram Van.

Dodge Ram Van 2001 B2500/B3500 Power Control Relay box next to the battery.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:27 PM
stev
Record Breaker

That's all the info I have. Hope you or someone can use it for your relay problems.

One last thing. I once had this problem 3 years ago with the 2001 B2500 5.2L Ram Van. Got the "nobus" in the OD digital display and heard the clicking out of the relay box next to the battery. We were stranded in 99 degree weather. I popped the mini-hood, poured my ice water on the PCM, it dried rather fast, wiggled the three bundled cables to the PCM, restarted the van. I then drove about 300-feet to sit the van in the shade. Waited about 5-mins and then drove 20 miles.

This problem has happened 3 times owning that van. I quasi fixed it by taking the PCM out of the van, cleaning the outside, cleaned the 3 bundle cables with CRC Electronic cleaner, tossed the PCM in the freezer for an hour, then re-installed everything back together. Never had the "nobus" error again, BUT, the PCM did shut of the van when it overheated when towing in hot weather.

If the van would have held up and not rust so badly away, I would have made a set of 3 bundle wire extension mounting the PCM inside the dash of the van. Connectors can be had on Moser electronics site or the Tyco/AMP (TE) site.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:39 PM
stev
Record Breaker

And one last addition ...

see the attached pdf,s

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB-08-24-00.pdf (14.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: pdf
TSB-08-26-00.pdf (23.0 KB, 643 views)

Last edited by stev; 07-17-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

RSDATA--any updates?

Old 07-27-2016, 11:06 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default July 27 update

Nibroc... thanks for your interest

Stev...
I wish my problem could be solved like yours... I wish it was a thermal problem that I could eliminate via the freezer... 2 PCMs, one original and the other reman do the exact same thing... so I am discounting the PCM as the problem...

I don't do well working in hot weather and my patience is getting thin with this van... so thin that I have probably not worked on it in a month... too many other things to do. Too little time left on earth to be working on this van.

I used it as my primary tow vehicle for my travel trailer for the last 4 years, about 70K miles worth but found that my '97 Land-cruiser which pulled my stranded camper back from the panhandle in April will pull my camper other places I have wanted to go this summer, so I leave the van in the driveway...

I am currently looking to solve my Dodge van problem by waiting till the weather cools off to do a bit more troubleshooting before giving up.

... but I watched Stev, and am actively looking for a 2010-2012 RAM truck... Hemi, 3.92 gears, HD cooling, Crew cab, with less than 100K miles for an affordable price. There appear to be a ton of these trucks out there, but finding the exact right one I want is the key. I will probably pull the trigger on it before mid-Sept or sooner.

Hate to ditch my van... been my third Dodge van, owning a used '85 window van, a new '94 Maxi van and the used '01 workhorse. Drove them all till they either rusted away or totaled the '94 after 229K miles and 12 years of fun times driving to Canada every summer fishing.

I am confident the RAM truck will give me more pulling torque and horses and not leave me stranded 850 mi from home... not that I am complaining about the 60K miles over 4 years the used '01 gave me for pretty cheap.

I will put out a post that I am junking it and list a number of lightly used parts that may be of interest, probably this fall...
I can do this somewhere on this van forum, without breaking any rules, right?

Roger

PS starting to hang out at the 4th Gen RAM Tech forum, trying to learn about 4th gen RAMs...

Quick Reply: '01 What is this relay?