Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Stalling 318 Dodge Ram Van Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Old 08-17-2016, 01:24 PM
nncoco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling 318 Dodge Ram Van Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

I have read before how ram vans stall at idle and at speed. I have now had both problems. Here is how I fixed them.

The stalls at idle were caused by the idol control sensor which is an electric solenoid that pops out when the engine is cold and back in when it is warm. This was stuck in the out position due to a computer malfunction. The unit and the computer had to be replaced. Total cost about $275 installed for new aftermarket parts. So far so good and no more check engine light.

The common and dangerous problem of stalling when driving was caused by a breach in the wire end of the Crackshaft Position Sensor (pc38t.) This sensor unit attaches at the right top passenger side of the bell housing at the seam where it meets the engine. The sensor tells the computer that the flywheel turning which tells it that the starter is on and/or the engine is running on it's own power. If power to this module is cut, the computer shuts everything off assuming that you have stopped the engine. If a short or cut power happens at speed, you get a dreaded mystery stall.

In my case, a recent oil leak caused the module to get cut off then it gets hot enough for the oil to run down and insulate the wires inside through a crack at the top of the Crackshaft Position Sensor.

Replacement of the module was $45 and took about 20 minutes with a single long allen wrench. There are two bolts. The bolts may be full of gunk so take a minute to inspect and scrape them clean. Be careful not to strip them or you will have a much bigger problem.

Nothing frustrates like a mystery stall. Hope this solves your problem!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stalling 318 Dodge Ram Van Throttle Position Sensor Replacement